Retirement visa

persil

Yes, i made the same calculation. Having 800,000 Bt sitting idle, when at a pinch it could earn say 5% after tax in an investment of sorts, means really you pay 40K Bt for the privelege of getting a Ret visa.

Maybe sending 65k per month, which eventually you'll consume, is better value.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The theory is, and I know several people doing this, is you put the 800k in the bank 3 months before applying for extension. Once extension is granted you then live off the 800k for the year and then 3 months before applying for new extension you top up to the 800k level. The 800k does not have sit in the bank for the whole year.

You do indeed lose some potential investment return, but you have to spend some during the year anyway, maybe not the full 800K.

Personally, Iâ??m not sure I would want to live in a foreign developing country without have significant liquid funds readily available.

just a question to this exerpt from above

------------

- In the case where the accompanying spouse is not eligible to apply for the Category â??O-Aâ?? (Long Stay) visa, he or she will be considered for temporary stay under Category â??Oâ?? visa. A marriage certificate must be provided as evidence and should be notarised by notary organs or by the applicantâ??s diplomatic or consular mission.

-------------

is this a proper information ? as in the documents i get from the thai embassy in germany this passage is missing and so we will have to wait some odd years...

the documents the embassy send me it sounds like all applicants must be over 50....

Is a statement from a financial brokerage, in USA, showing monthly income, in excess of 65,000, enough for an OA renewal? The money would be in the states, but it is drawn, as needed, to Thailand. With no Bkk bank account.

The way it worked last year, just go to the US Embassy in Bangkok, get the form they have there, fill out that you have the required funds and the embassy will notarize it for you at a cost of $30 USD. There was no need to have funds in Thailand or to provide any docs or bank statements.

If you look on the Thai Embassy site, in the UK, they had a form where you self-certified that you had the necessary funds!

YMMV...it may be different now?

I got my retirement visa last month and they actually stamped "retirement" in my passport. As for the certification from the embassy, no documents were required. However, I had read somewhere where some immigration officers also wanted to see a Thai bank account, so I stuck 40,000 baht in a Thai bank.

When I went to immigration I had the letter from the embassy and my Thai bank book, just in case they wanted to see it. Even though I had the statement from the embassy showing an income of greater than 65,000 bat a month, they wanted to see a "letter" from the Thai bank. Of course I didn't have one, because, technically, I didn't even need the Thai bank account. Why would I need a letter? Anyway, rather than argue with the guy, I went to the bank and got the "letter" for 200 baht. I'm not sure what it said, as it was written in Thai. Probably just that I had 40,000 baht on deposit.

In any event, I'm all set until next year.

Rex

Archived