Visa Travelers checks

shotover

I normally take TCs as a backup in case I lose or break my ATM card, or the card-issuing banks suspend use of their cards in certain countries due to general fraud activity. Last year, many USA banks suspended use of visa debit cards in Thailand and 3 other countries for about 4 months.

For more than 20 years I had more than 200 hotel nights a year and as I said I used TCs, but not as back-up more as speculation, those years the dollar and pound went down all the time so TCs in german marks gave you some extra 10-15 %.

I stopped with TCs after that a bank in Canary Islands first declared that they took AMEX TCs and after me counter-signing they refused and told me that AMEX was on the stopping list as next bank to go bankruptcy. After that I got an AMEX credit card instead.

traveler checks still exist?

used last time early 90's and spend as well around 200-250 nights a year in hotels in several countries in Asia. use Visa and Amex instead and always over 500 usd in cash (in several currencies) as reserve.

For business travellers no, haven't seen any use for more than 10 years. But especially american tourists still use TCs and they lose a lot, in Sweden the banks charge for every TC they cash with a fee in SEK (not %) so I estimate they lose 5-10 % compared with using ATMs.

Archived