Jackie Robinson Day

Steve

being a long time Dodgers fan (as well as Phillies), it was on this day in '47 that Jackie Robinson played his first day for the Brooklyn Dodgers. He wasn't the best black player at the time but he was the best suited to be the first in the major leagues. I spent a little time in Flatbush section of Brooklyn where the Dodgers played before moving to LA and I used to hear stories about him from some of the old timers when I visited my cousins there.

I lived in Brooklyn Heights for about a year. Wish I remembered the street - a short walk from where I lived - the main street with many good restaurants. At the far end of this street, furthest part from the Hudson River, is the building that was the headquarters for the Brooklyn Dodgers and the place where Jackie signed his first contract. There is a plaque on the building noting this.

I know he was selected as the first player because of his strong character and the conviction that he would be able to withstand the abuse he would face. From what I have read, I am also under the impression that he was very prideful (not in a bad way). So, he must have been a very strong person to take the abuse and put his pride aside in order to open the gates for those who followed.

Archived