sukhumvit safty

Hi all,

I will be staying at the Royal Asia Lodge, when i am in LOS at the end of ths month. I was wondering if someone can tell me how safe Skuhumvit was at night? Can i walk around on Sukhukvit at night whithout worrying abut being robbed and takend for. Thanks in advance. crazy.gif" border="0crazy.gif" border="0

Others will know more than me, as my experiences are limited to a three week stay earlier this summer. But I felt the Sukhumvit area was pretty safe. Use the kind of common sense necessary on streets of any large city in middle of the night and I doubt you'll have problems.

I agree with what has already been said. Use comman sense, avoid groups and dark alleys. Also be careful with freelancer on the street. There are many more now that Thermae is closed early. Most are quite OK but going to sleep can result in waking up without certain prperty!

Charon said:

quote:

But generally Thai people are not agressive at all.

Obviously you weren't there the night I saw the two Thais kick the shit out of this stupid farang on the corner of Ambassador Plaza at the Sukhumvit. No doubt the farang started it because he didn't want to let it die. Amend the above statement to:

"Generally Thai people are not agressive unless provoked."

Much safer then most North American cities and large cities in the rest of the world.

As Big Kev said, use common sense.

There are pick pockets. I've never had a problem stumbling down Sukhumvit intoxicated. Done it many times.

Comparing to a western country is difficult because the behaviour of asian people and their way of acting can be quite different. If you are a guy who can get into trouble in other countries you can have the same experience in LOS, although not so easily. Just do not mess with people, especially not with a group of katoeys. One can be a pain but several ones are hell. But generally Thai people are not agressive at all. More common is to get in contact with these nice sleeping drops in your drink because you will miss at least three days until you are on the road again.

I have to admit that this is a rarity and I have never felt threatened or unsafe (except for the katoeys, who are usually easily repelled with a scowl and a loud 'Hahm Jiab!')

On my usual sojourn from Nana to the Star Wars Cantina (Thermae) there was a full scale fight going on in the open fronted pool parlour (Big Boy?) near the Ambassador. There were pool cues, balls and bodies flying out into the street with equal velocity.

I quickened my pace and got to Thermae, where there was another serious ruck going on in the adjacent shophouse restaurant. This time you had to dodge the plaxtic stools and flying noodle bowls.

Oh well, I'll be safe inside T's I thought.

Just one hour in and an almighty ruck blows up between a psychotic looking French guy and equally psychotic TG. My money was on the TG. It was great entertainment as they took turns vaulting the central bar in an effort to disembowel each other.

To cap things off, the little sweetie I had come in search of gave me a right f**king earful because she'd seen me butterflying on a previous occasion. She then pissed off with a wealthy looking Japanese guy. At that point I felt like joining in and prolonging the night's martial arts theme.

Instead, I resigned myself to doing a drunken impression of Rodney King on the steps outside, "Can't we all just get along?"

quote:

Originally posted by Lamock Chokaprret:

Amend the above statement to:

"Generally Thai people are not agressive unless provoked."

There is always an unless you can add to a general rule: unless provoked, unless drunken, unless forced in order not to loose face...As Arai wa said "Can't we all just get along?". Throwing chairs around can't be the reason for so many people to travel half the globe.

On the other hand I have the slight impression that the crime rate in BKK - especially round Sukhumvit and similar areas - has grown quite a bit during the past years. If I remember well I have read something like that in Bangkok Post recently.

[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: charon ]

quote:

Originally posted by Arai wa:

I have to admit that this is a rarity and I have never felt threatened or unsafe (except for the katoeys, who are usually easily repelled with a scowl and a loud 'Hahm Jiab!')

The katoeys hang out where the steps come down to the sidewalk around Soi 5. The steps are for the overhead crossing ramp.

One night I was nice enough to accept a hand that was reached out to me from a girl (??) She pulled me to her. A katoey came up and started blabbing. I moved on. Back at the room 200 baht missing out of pocket. 2,000 in belt pack okay. Keep your distance from katoeys and when you see them hold your money in your hand in your pocket if it is not otherwise secured.

Arai- what does hahm jiab mean?

Zane May

Archived