What does "Nana" mean?

Big Kev

Originally posted by SARGON:

"The Nana family is of Indian origin (Sikh ?) ... Don't know what it means in hindi or urdu."

"Nana" is maternal grandfather in Hindi. It's often used as an address (for a mat.g/father. of course), so the guy could have been a well-known patriarch called by his whole family "Nana" (even by those members to whom he wasn't mat.g/father - happens).

Sikhs surnames are usually Singh for the males, Kaur for the females. Some add other names to distinguish themselves from the rest (such as Kohli, Sandhu et al.). Sikhs or other Indians with Thai citizenship have Thai surnames, as required by law. Often Indian elements are integrated into these names; see for example "Chansichawla", the surname of that well-known Namdhari-Sikh businessman and ex-bank owner (Chawla is an Indian surname).

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The English slang translation for nana is na’ means “no” or “I don’t want to”. The phrase is used in a sentence like “ you buy me lady drink? na “you but my friend drink to? na “you barfine me? na” “you barfine me and my friend? Ya !” So I feel that a name change to yaya is in order tongue.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0

[ August 02, 2001: Message edited by: Humbleman ]

Hey guys! Sounds good to me so far. Good imagination and knowledge from all of you. But I think I got the best one. In French, "Nana" simply means a "GIRL". Does it ring the bell? Anybody? That makes sense, doesn't it! So let's keep it that way will ya.

Cheers!

KB

Jesus what a depth of knowledge. Someone knows something about everything on this board, for God's sake! Even the Hindi and Erdu meanings.

And all this burning intellectual power focused on chasing Thai farm girl pussy!! And a lot of us still can't win! Go figure.

Zane May

Sorry "Master" Zane but living in Singapore now and having spent 2 years in BKK I guess My answer to this question is right.

If you dare to help me with your great knowledge about thailand feel free...

Your truly

quote:

Originally posted by Zane May:

Jesus what a depth of knowledge. Someone knows something about everything on this board, for God's sake! Even the Hindi and Erdu meanings.

And all this burning intellectual power focused on chasing Thai farm girl pussy!! And a lot of us still can't win! Go figure.

Zane May

Originally posted by land o' scams:

"And all along I thought nana meant apple."

????? crazy.gif" border="0

You might think of "noina" which is the good old custard apple. It looks a bit like a big artichoke on the outside; the insides are white and creamy. The Indians call it Sitaphal, the "Fruit of Sita". Sorry, nothing to do with our apple but the name.

Camelot:

"The area could be named after the Nana family which has owned the land around that part of Sukhumvit for generations.

Lek Nana used to be a prominent businessman and politician a while back.."

I think ypu are right. He used to live in a big house right on sukumvit road next to Krung Thai Bank HQ (between Soi 1 and Soi 3 ?)Now it is just an old wooden house and no one lives there any more.

SARGON:

"The Nana family is of Indian origin (Sikh ?)"

I don't think he's Sikh. I have to ask my Indian friend tonight. She should know something about his family. :-)

Archived