What does "Nana" mean?

Big Kev

I'm not sure how it's spelled in Thai, but it could mean "in front of the field" (na-na). NEP is of course named after Soi Nana.

Three, four or five decades ago, the Sukhumvit area was still very rural and there would have been orchards, plenty of trees and possibly a few (rice?) fields.

[ July 31, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by Scum_Baggio:

I'm not sure how it's spelled in Thai, but it could mean "in front of the field" (na-na). NEP is of course named after Soi Nana.

Three, four or five decades ago, the Sukhumvit area was still very rural and there would have been orchards, plenty of trees and possibly a few (rice?) fields.

[ July 31, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

then it would be spelt หน้านา however it is นานา

as i got curious, i consulted my dictionary and it says: different, various, variety; however i have never heard this word used for this meaning

I was just describing the joys of Thailand to a colleague who will be traveling there next month and mentioned Nana Entertainment Plaza. When he asked what "Nana" means or if the letters are abbreviation for something, I realized that I don't know.

Anyone out there got an answer?

Originally posted by Camelot:

"The area could be named after the Nana family ..."

It would be a perfectly fitting explanation; yet, "Nana" doesn't really sound like a Thai surname to me. It would be the shortest surname around. Could it have been abbreviated, say from s.th. like Nanawong, Nananwongcharoen or similar (there are countless possibilities) - which still would leave the question as to the meaning of "Nana", since all Thai surnames do have a meaning! crazy.gif" border="0

Archived