What Was Up At Nana Tonight (Friday)

MooNoi

I went to the movies tonight, and after my friend went home it was about 12.30am so I thought I'd hit the bars for a drink or two.

Knowing Soi Cowboy would be closed in a short while I taxied up to Nana.

Soi 3 was a total carpark (even more than usual) so I got out well-short of The Grace and walked. There were quite a few MIB in soi 3.

I got up to Nana just before 1.00am, and there's cops EVERYWHERE, Sukhumwit is in traffic chaos and punters and girls are pouring out of the plaza and everything was shut. Even the little street bars on Sukhumwit outside Subway were packing up before they'd even really opened.

Anyone know what was going on tonight?

Hopefully just a "one-night raid."

It'll piss me off if Nana now has to close at 1.00am same as Soi Cowboy!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nana seems to close now at 1 am. I am surprised no one posted about this earlier.

I have been in NEP three times over the last two and half weeks, and every time it closed by or before 1 am. Two BGs and one mama-san I know say this has been happening for over a month.

I was going to post an update, but figured I would get the usual flack. But this appears to be a trend...for now at least.

At 1 am this evening, the crowds were so big they spilled over into Soi 4 to such an extent that it became a walking street. Traffic basically stopped. Pretty amazing. And the usual after hours places I checked in the NEP area were closed; meanwhile in Soi Cowboy...

It doesn't seem to be part of any new social anything - nothing in the press about any effort to do anything relating to the nightlife here.

Soi Cowboy was dark after 1 am, but the bars were still open until shortly before 2 am. My guess is that it is driven by political and financial (related here) considerations, but don't know the details.

A bar owner I know (Moo Noi knows him too) is partner of a bar at NEP. According to him it is a sneaky ways to piss the customers and business owners off. When there is no more fun the customers will stay away and when the business don't generate a revenue there won't be bars anymore! The other thing I have heard (don't know if true) that Nana Plaza can be closed from one day to another if the owner needs the space to build a 5 star hotel (i.E.)

However I have heard about the sneaky kick out strategy multiple times now from people who have a business down there, I have no proof for anything that has been said to me but it is estimated that in 2009 there will only be Patpong left and Nana and Cowboy will be closed.

The current gov. wants to "clean up" the streets and outsource the nasty stuff to Pattaya & Co.

I know too little about that but given the fact that I have heard it from people that are involved give these statements some weight!

Nana seems to close now at 1 am...Soi Cowboy was dark after 1 am, but the bars were still open until shortly before 2 am.

Same experience here. Will add that patpong is just like you described SC: lights out around 1, but goes till 2.

When there is no more fun the customers will stay away and when the business don't generate a revenue there won't be bars anymore! The other thing I have heard (don't know if true) that Nana Plaza can be closed from one day to another if the owner needs the space to build a 5 star hotel (i.E.)

If they close NEP who will stay in thier new hotel there is not that many business people??? :(

There is a clear trend sincle some years, the crackdwn will going on more and will affect more areas.

first the bar's behind Soi 3, then Hollywood Plaza, then Clinton Plaza, then the bars on Soi 10, there is just a question of time until

NEP will be closed, i'm shure about this.

Just to wait until the Indian-Thai owner (i think)of NEP get a good deal with a hotel company.

Tourism industry needs more space for "good tourist".

Crackdowns and ridiculous prices are hurting the potential of the bars, but I am not sure the bar areas get eliminated due to that as much as it comes down to land is just plain worth more for other purposes. For instance, other venues are gradually going away too like Suan Lum and the Coliseum to make room for luxury hotels & condos.

Archived