Forte Soi 24

Last night I had a date with a Thai girl of the non-bar variety and she took me to a place called Forte on Soi 24. This disco is huge and really crowded. The music sucks but that didn't stop me from having a good time. This disco's claim to fame is that it has bartenders who dance on the bars. It is like the movie, "Coyote Ugly" except with young hot Thai girls instead of hardcore farang chicks with implants. Some of these girls can really shake the booty and that is probably why the bar is packed with guys. I would say 70% men at least. There were some obvious working girls there, but they were with customers already, and the customers were Asian. In fact, I think my date and I were the only Thai-Farang couple in the entire place. Also, the crowd is a little bit older than the RCA variety, but still younger than the geriatric crowd. Drinks are expensive. Everybody should check this place out just to check out the dancers. My mouth was hanging open in awe and I am hard to please. Some will prefer the go go bars with their Isaan shufflers, but sometimes checking out a normal place is nice for the novelty. By the way, the last couple weeks I have been sojourning outside the bar scene with normal girls and they are showing me a side to Bangkok I've never seen before. I am having a great time. So a piece of advice to all you out there stuck on the devil's highway, Sukhumvit, get out and explore. You won't regret it!!

Late,

Raddemo

Great report Raddemo! I have had my Thai staff telling me about this place for months. They mentioned the performance of the barmaids being the major attraction. I, too, have had a number of straight ladies I date ask me to take them there - seems to be the en vogue place now. After reading your report, I will check it out.

Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by bgtp:

Raddemo, what is the set-up at this place? Is it a disco with a dj and large dance floor or one of those places with a live band, singers switching every song, and people sitting/dancing around tables?

BGTP

Well, my only complaint about the place is the set-up. It is really difficult to get around. It is mostly a table aand stool type of place where most people buy bottles of whiskey and sit around, talk and look cool. The dance floor is miniscule because of the table and chairs. The music alternates between a DJ and a band. The DJ is not that good as well as the singers in the band. The acoustics of the room are not that good also. It also has an upstairs area where one can get a birdseye view of the many bars with their respective bartender/dancers. It seems the main focus of the bar is to get your attention on the dancing bartenders. I don't recall that many people dancing except some belligerent bar girls and their drunk dates.

After reading Raddemo's write up, I decided to check this place out. Here's my review.

It duplicates some of Raddemo's post, but I am too lazy to edit it.

Tonight I took the GF out and we went to a club called The Forte music restaurant on Soi 24 that I had heard about on the Nanaplaza board. It's a very upscale nightclub/restaurant/disco (there was a stretch limo outside) that has a live band and 1 distinctive feature that I'll explain shortly. The crowd is a bit older than you'll find at most discos, in fact they have a sign that says under 20 not admitted. I saw maybe 5-6 other Farangs there, the crowd was mostly Thai, Japanese and Chinese men and very, very attractive Bangkok Thai girls (the only Issan gal I saw was the one that came with me!). It is expensive, drinks were 250B, most tables bought bottles (not sure how much bottles cost). The GF quickly decided that it was "Same Thermae, Nana Disco, except for Thai, Japanese and Chinese man". I initally doubted that observation.

I noticed many older Thai men with much younger and very attractive Thai girls (mia nois?). I also saw many girls "mingling" through the crowd. Most of the tables were occupied by groups of men. The large table next to us had 6 very well-to-do older Thai gentlemen that came alone, but we we left, they all had dates. Maybe the GF's observation was right. We arrived at 10 pm just as the band was starting. It was a barely talented cover band playing pop music (Hey Jude, Hotel California, etc.). The girls working behind the bar were damn good looking, and it turns out that is the draw of this place. After the band finished their uninspring 45 minute set, the Farang DJ announced the "Forte dancers". They did one choreographed number on the dance floor and the staircase that was very sexy and then did what they are famous for, they danced on top of the 3 bars like the movie Coyote Ugly. They didn't do the bargirl shuffle either, these girls could dance and did I mention that these chicks were HOT? Speaking of hot, each bar had a fire trough behind it, so the girls danced on top of the bar while flames shot up behind them!

I saw a few guys tipping the dancers, but couldn't see the size of the tips as we weren't real close to the bar area. One of the Thai guys at the table next to us had a waitress take a tip to a particular dancer and she pointed him out to her. After she finished, she came over and appeared to give the guy her phone number. I doubt that we could afford these girls, or that they would even be interested in Farangs though. When the band started again, I took this as a good cue to leave. Just the opposite of Tony's, there I usually leave when the band is finished. We spent a couple hours there and nursed our 1 drink each (250B is a bit pricey for me). We left around midnight and I had the GF ask what closing time was and was told 2 am.

I don't think this will be a regular spot for me to visit, but it was worth it just to see the dancers and I wouldn't mind giving it another try with a few of the boys some night.

Ranger

Archived