Bring your Money with you

saucier01

Just found this out after a dozen trips...

From today's Post...

"Currently, the onshore baht is quoted at 34 to the dollar, compared with around 32 in the offshore market.

As a result, a foreign tourist making a charge locally will result in an automatic profit for the domestic bank controlling the acquisition terminal at the point of sale, thanks to the higher rate quoted for the baht in the onshore market."

Gotten so used to using my debit card for everything...guess it might be time to go back greenbacks or travelers checks. Wouldn't be an issue if I didn't spend so damned much everytime I visit LOS.

Cheers,

Saucier.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get a much better rate from the ATM for Aussie Dollars than I do at an exchange booth.

Only problem is, if you come here on holidays and only bring the one card with you, and the machine swallows the card, you're screwed.

Should always bring some traveller's cheques or a second card as an emergency back-up.

Last week I used my USA based ATM card and got 34.4 TB / 1 USD. I guess using your ATM here means you get the higher rate for some reason :dunno:

Did they tack on any extra charges?

My Citibank Gold Card charges me 1% when I pull Thai Baht out of an ATM here in Bangkok.

Last week I used my USA based ATM card and got 34.4 TB / 1 USD. I guess using your ATM here means you get the higher rate for some reason :dunno:

Did they tack on any extra charges?

My Citibank Gold Card charges me 1% when I pull Thai Baht out of an ATM here in Bangkok.

I don't get hit with extra fees but that's due to a deal I worked out with my bank in the past. When I found out I was going to be sent by my company overseas the first thing I did was make sure I wouldn't get hit with extra ATM fees since I use it quite frequently.

At first those morons weren't going to give in until I told them the bank across the street was willing to do so. That changed their tune real quick. Not even sure if the bank across the street would have or not, but just the threat got me what I needed.

Good ploy!

Citibank would just tell me to f_off!

No problem, as I have taken to having traveler's

check and cash with me.

In worse case, I use the ATM and live with the 1% service charge.

Citibank charges 3% (and many other US banks) but since I have the "gold" account I get charged the 1%, whcih is $5 on $500, so I miss out on a beer or three :grin:

Travelers cheques are the worst. You get hit with a new fee to cash them! Some banks charge you a fee just to issue them! The exchange rate is not great either.

I just cashed $100 US bills and got an exchange rate of 34. Debit card from USA gives me 34.7 at the ATM. ATM still is the best for every reason. If I were to lose it, I can get a cash advance at a bank. Not that I would need it as I keep a little cash on hand to tide me over. No worries.

Archived