Bring your Money with you

saucier01

My British friends tell me Nationwide? plastic is free from overseas transaction fees.

If you're an Aussie, Wizard Clear Advantage Mastercard is excellent. No overseas fees at all and a good exchange rate. I top it up via netbanking from my interest bearing account when I need funds, so use it sort of like a debit card.

:beer:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last ATM transaction I did using my USA bank was on 30 April and I received 34.7141, when the official rate was 33.0500 per Oanda (obviously the offshore rate) and BBL was buying big notes at 34.43.

Yesterday, I got a rate of 121.2163 yen for an ATM transaction where Oanda shows the rate to be 121.0070.

On 3 May, I got Oz$1.2106 with Oanda showing 1.2118.

I think it depends upon the issuing bank. My US bank is a small three-branch boutique bank without many of the fees of the large chains -- they do not charge for any ATM transaction and obviously do not stroke you on the forex. They are great.

It does not appear to be linked to ATM machine. I tried Kasikorn and Thai Military ATMs to test (cuz they are near each other) and got the same rate.

Cheers,

SD

I was curious, so I checked my AmEx bill to see the rates there.

30 April - 34.0369 baht

3 May - 1.1802 Oz dollars

15 May - 117.7426 yen

So the ATM card for me is 2-3% better deal over AmEx.

Cheers,

SD

Do the small banks also charge the 1% commission that Visa now charges for every ATM withdrawl? I'm looking to change banks when I go back the the U.S. in September because I'm now being charged $1.50 per ATM transaction and 1% from VISA, which adds up to $6.50 on a $500 withdrawl. For now, I'm having money wire transfered for a $35 charge. On Friday at Siam Commercial Bank, I got an exchange rate of 34.47.

I'm not noticing anything from my bank, but they use MasterCard as their debit service. The only fees I pay are US$10/mo on occasion if I do not keep an average balance of US$2,500 in the account.

Cheers,

SD

• 3 weeks later...

Both MasterCard and Visa always charge a 1% conversion fee for exchanging money using a debit card. Supposedly, though, they give you a commercial exchange rate that is supposed to be better than the retail rate, so that might effectively cancel out the 1% fee.

Your particular bank may or may not add a fee to this 1! fee or they might add an ATM usage fee, or both. However, fortunately there are several banks that don't add anything to the MC/Visa 1% fee or charge any ATM fees. I have an account with Washington Mutual that doesn't add any fees beyond the MC 1% fee nor charge for ATM usage and even does free international wire transfers. Also have an account with "USAA" Fed. Savings Bank that uses a MC debit card with no additional fees beyond the 1%, plus even if the ATM you use happens to charge a fee, they reimburse me for that.

However, I haven't checked what exchange rates these MC ATM debit cards are giving since I haven't been in Thailand lately. So I'm still not sure whether you get a better rate with the atm cards or with cash.

Archived