full moon party on Koh Phangan

hornydude

If you happen to be smoking weed on the beach, as many people do, just beware, there are many undercover cops on the beach and also THE THAI KIDS run around looking for farlung smoking, then report them to the coppers for a small tip.

BEWARE!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

When I stayed at Koh Samui in February 2000, me and my Thai girlfriend went to the full moon party by speedboat, I believe they charged 400 Baht a person and they advertised all over Koh Samui. Me, being from Berlin, Germany, it reminded me of the Love Parade. lots of people marching up and down the beach and techno and drugs and alcohol. I like it as there were lots of things to see and lots of music to choose from for dancing. So it is an interesting mix of a night market, food stalls and a techno disco at the beach. My girlfriend, by the way liked it too, but then she has lived in Germany all her life and is used to those kind of things. We came over with the boat at 9 and wanted to leave at around 3 a.m. but could not as the first boats were only leaving around 4-5 o'clock. Back then did not see any police, only problem were drunken farang trying to grab or talk to my girlfriend. All in all, a good experience but no particular urge to repeat it.

[ August 29, 2001: Message edited by: lazy_go_crazy ]

Agree with Lazy_go_crazy. Good experience but to have a real 'party' night of it I think you have to have either been before OR have been around and about for a few days so you know the score.

There is loads going on and it is more like a circus for most of the night, you wanna explore - stores, stalls, bars, clubs, streets, mushy cafes, entertainers etc etc and before you know it it is time to go home and you have somehow missed the party....well, my original idea of the party which was dancing about to great music.

I was there a week before the event and I still found it overbearing in terms of stuff going on.

Many party goers are regulars and have discreetly located after parties and equally discreet suppliers of whatever is neccessary for the night. The rest are party tourists - visiting for the reputation the party has.

Police are everywhere - undercover and otherwise, which makes everybody a lot more cautious (apart from the tourists that are caught out at every event) than they are almost every other night on the island.

I got the slow boat from Samui which was well cheap. Speedboats go all night from 300 - 600 bt rtn. Staying on the beach itself (in huts)is a no-no unless get there 3+ days earlier.

Am in no great rush to return, but it is certainly worth attending and I am going to either Oct or Nov FMP's.

Archived