Will a street taxi take me to Pattaya?

Sanook

Hi,

I've decided to spend a few weeks in Pattaya, and will be leaving Bangkok next week. In the past I have taken taxis straight from the airport. This time I'm a little worried about whether any street taxis around Victory Monument will want to take me.

Should I just stop random taxis until one agrees on the journey.

Any idea what the cost might be if any do decide to take me.

Cheers.

I went by taxi from Landmark hotel to Pattaya 2 weeks ago, the admiral outside the hotel said that no taxis go to Pattaya any more on the meter, taxi driver said 1500 + toll roads, I said 1200 including tollroads which he accepted.

Last time I went with the meter running, 18 months ago, it was around 900 baht. 1000 + tollroads seems the lowest possible rate. Taxi drivers never going to Pattaya will hardly accept the deal as they don't know the system with more or less guaranteed return trips.

Find a motorbike taxi on Sukhumvit Rd in Pattaya, he'll contact the "taxi maffia" and often more or less directly a return trip is booked. The customer pays 800 baht, taxi driver gets 500 and those involved, taxi booth owner and motorbike taxi driver will share the 300.

Correct, but you must find a bahtbus which can take you and you luggage to the hotel so another 60 - 100 baht depending on your negotiating skill. Of course if you stay in Thai Garden Hotel you can walk. :)

Another option is go to Ekkamai station and hop on an airconditioned bus for 120 baht, no tolls, no tips.

If the OP's near Victory Monument then Morchit Bus Station would probably be closer than Ekkamai.

Also, going from Morchit is quicker at the moment because of the BTS construction in Sukhumwit.

Bus leaves Morchit, 3 mins later you're on the freeway! :thumbup:

Archived