Passing Bank Account on to Thai G/F

zanemay

I know nothing whatsoever about Thai law. In the USA, it's possible to set up a bank account "in trust" for someone else. Their name is on the account, but they cannot access the money so long as you're alive. Once you die, they provide the bank with a copy of your death certificate. The money in the account is then theirs.

Rex

Okay...looking at all the responses so far, I think I should look into this. BTW I'm quite healthy, and only really concerned about accidental death - no death wish, as someone quipped.

I have all my USA accounts set up with my USA g/f as beneficiary. Sometimes these are called POD accounts - payable on death.

If I died in Thailand my g/f can get a death certificate easily. If in the USA my sister can send her one. Is the foreign death certificate honored in Thailand? I wonder? I can ask the bank.

This seems like the cleanest option. Does anyone see a problem with it?

My executor in the states has a Bank Card and letter to mail, when the time comes( along with her cell phone, family home # and other contact info). Her name is on the account but she does not remember it, as its one we used a few years ago.

The letter tells her (among other things),remember your birthday, is the PIN.

So open a joint account, MAKE a reason, why that bank sucks... Ask for the card back, and go from there.

Archived