Passing Bank Account on to Thai G/F

zanemay

I have had a very good, steady, and very understanding Thai girlfriend for a few years now. She is 41, has never gone w another farang, and is trustworthy and at the same time gives me plenty of latitude with women. When I'm here I see her every few days, give her enough money to support her and her son, and give her extra any time she has a problem.

In the event that I die, either in Thailand or USA, I want to leave her the money in my Thai bank account. It's not a lot, but it would be a lot to her. She doesn't know how much is there and has never asked about money or inheritance.

I have been thinking about ways to do this. I could give her an ATM card, but not the PIN and have my sister in USA give her the PIN if I died. I can only trust my sister because while I have a long-term g/f in the USA who will inherit everything else, I would not trust her to pass money to a Thai g/f. Jealousy would be a factor.

The thing I don't like about this is putting the ATM card in a Thai woman's hands, even without the PIN. ATM PIN's are only 4 digits, and most of us know it is best not to tempt Thai's, even if they have been completely trustworthy. I wish PIN's were longer.

I suppose I could leave the card in Thailand with a farang friend and have my sister contact him and tell him to give Thai g/f the card. Then sister would give her the PIN.

This all seems convoluted and I wonder what ideas the Thai360 braintrust might have?? I prefer to keep it simple and private.

Zane May

Get a will.

Also, do what I do. Give her a phone number to call and have it in her email and in her phone (many places so she cannot lose it). The person on the other end has to be trusted to follow your wishes and can be a solicitor. I would also suggest a backup.

Yeah , I think I would do a joint account with your sister,

then she can hand it over to your girlfriend later,

I would not tell GF about it , might give her "ideas"

OK,,,,,yes I have been reading too many "flying" boyfriend stories and would not put that temptation in front of her ( or her friends/family)

OC

Yeah , I think I would do a joint account with your sister,

then she can hand it over to your girlfriend later,

I would not tell GF about it , might give her "ideas"

OK,,,,,yes I have been reading too many "flying" boyfriend stories and would not put that temptation in front of her ( or her friends/family)

OC

I know nothing whatsoever about Thai law. In the USA, it's possible to set up a bank account "in trust" for someone else. Their name is on the account, but they cannot access the money so long as you're alive. Once you die, they provide the bank with a copy of your death certificate. The money in the account is then theirs.

I'm sure there must be some way to do something similar in Thailand.

Rex

In regards to dying, the bank account will probably still be usable because how will the bank know you are dead?

As for a will, if you die in the USA, it might be very difficult to prove in Thailand that the person is dead and the money now belongs to the one listed in the will.

As for solution, I think you already answered it. Provide the lady with the card and have your sister provide the pin number.

Write out a Thai will that covers only your Thai assets.

Send PM if you would like the name and contact information of the lawyer in Bangkok who did this for me.

The ATM card and joint account methods could both be subject to being frozen, so you shouldn't count on them, and besides, an unrelated person drawing money form you ATM account after your death could have some tough explaining to do.

Archived