Leo Beer: Which bars serve it?

whitelotuslane

Usually the bars have the same mark-up (percentage) on all beers.

So if I drink 2 Chang instead of 3 Singha or Heineken the bar will get

3 x 85 = 255

-

2 x 65 = 130

half the money and profit and I'll get the same alcohol (actually a little less as Chang is 6.4 % in theory but often more, the other two 5 or 5.5 %)

Sorry but quite a wide ranging and inaccurate statement I feel. I believe your recent comment about absolute markups rather than percentages to be nearer the fact.

As for total alcohol and presuming equal volumes, I think you will find that 2*6.4 = 12.8 whereas Singha at 6.0% would yield 18.0 at 3*6.0, Tiger would yield 19.5 at 3*6.5 and Heineken would give 15.0 at 3*5.0.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A friend who's a brewer came back from Thailand and told that the alchohol content in Chang is often much higher than the 6.4, often 8.0 %.

He travelled around in Thailand so hardly a problem just one day in the brewery.

Sometimes after having one beer [singha] I find myself inebriated. I think that the quality control is off on these percentages. Sometimes you may get a beer that is in fact 5.5%. Sometimes you might get one that is 1.02% and yes, when you are lucky you may even get a 20% er.

The variance can't be that big, my friend found Chang as low as 4 %, sometimes around the official alcohol but in most cases around 8. He said he found almost no variance for Heineken and Singha.

If this was a temporary or permanent problem I don't know as my friend just stayed a few weeks. It may even be some sort of promotion, but in that case they would use the higher alcohol percentage and never go under the official one.

each to their own!

I like Singha, and after that Heineken tastes like nothing.

But when I was staying (now 5 years ago) in Nok's village, she suggested I'd buy a box of beer for the family and visiotirs. I was happy to oblige, but suggested that it would be Singha. She clooked at me scathingly, and said " isan people poor peopel, poor people don't drink Singha, too expensive. drink Leo"

She claimed the little village shop didn't even stock Singha.

I don't know if it has changed, but I bought a box with 24 (?) Chang from Copenhagen some years ago, more expensive than Singha, and the worst of all it was a license brew from Germany. I guess what they sell in the english city where Chang brewery sponsors a football team - Everton maybe - they sell the same crap just 5 %. :thumbdown:

Archived