Unrest still possible.

chuckwoww

Thai security chiefs fear unrest

Security officials have met in the Thai capital to discuss how to deal with possible unrest after a court ruling banning the former governing party.

Supporters of Thai Rak Thai have threatened protests over the verdict, which also saw key party leaders barred from politics for five years.

Army chiefs said extra security had been introduced on top of measures put in place ahead of Wednesday's ruling.

The interim PM said he would impose a state of emergency if there was unrest.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6707475.stm

My taxi driver last night was in quite a state of outrage.

He told me that he and his other taxi driver friends would not accept the verdict to dissolve the Thai Rak Thai Party.

His actually words were "I will fight to the death".

It is really very sad. Thaksin was seen by a lot of the Issan people as a champion of the poor, and his "persecution" has now turned him into a martyr of almost saintlike status. This of course is so very far from the truth.

What the military junta and the political opposition parties have totally failed at is countering this totally false impression of Thaksin.

For the first time in a long while, I am worried about the Thai political situation.

There is trouble brewing.

It is not entirely beyond the realms of possibility that a counter-coup could call Thaksin back.

And I believe that if he came back, he would come as a dictator.

It is not entirely beyond the realms of possibility that a counter-coup could call Thaksin back.

And I believe that if he came back, he would come as a dictator.

Scary thought. Let's hope it doesn't happen.

Possible yes - successful no chance without the support of the army and more specific the new army chief after Sonthi - so be sure the new army general will as always be selected from trusted and competent candidates.

A counter coup by taxi drivers? I also encountered a taxi driver who was shouting as he drove and telling me how wonderful Mr T was. Basically, what it boiled down to could be summarised as: "Yes, he was a crook. But he was OUR crook."

What Mr T was doing was deliberately dividing the nation - urban vs rural. He was able to do this because the other political parties (except for Chawalit's "Isaan for Khon Isaan" period) largely ignored the country folks.

Abhisit has been proposing genuine improvements for the countryside. Wonder if the uneducated proles will be willing to wait to see if he does so, or will go on ranting about their fallen fuehrer.

My taxi driver last night was in quite a state of outrage.

He told me that he and his other taxi driver friends would not accept the verdict to dissolve the Thai Rak Thai Party.

His actually words were "I will fight to the death".

If in your position, I would have told the driver to immediately stop his car, made clear that I don't support people sympathizing with convicted, corrupt ex-dictators and looked for another cab.

Archived