Cost of living in BKK

Odd question here maybe.

If I, or anyone for that matter, wanted to come and live in BKK (And not slum it too bad!)what in your experiance would it cost for a year?

I know there are a lot of variables to this equation so I am just looking at a rough ball park on what you gents think you spend in total for a year.

1,000,000 bht? 2,000,000 bht?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Teacher seem to survive pretty good on 30,000 baht per month."

Stray dogs do survive with even less than that... that doesn't make their situation attractive...

2 million up even without whoring IMO, way up if you do some travel in wealthier countries

It could be done OK on a million, 2 million would get you a better class of whore, and more of them. Half a million is just about do-able in Pattaya, if you're very frugal, but I wouldn't want to do it on that sort of budget. For 3 million you could be 'Jack the Lad' and have a lot of fun and many temporary friends :)

There are many variables as you suggest, but the cost of accommodation will be a major item. Quite nice serviced apartments can be found from around 7500 baht P/M close to skytrain in the On Nut area, and from 25,000 baht nearer the Nana/Asoke entertainment zones. If you have a year to play around with, then maybe a 12 month lease on a condo might be the way to go at an estimated cost of 25,000-50,000 baht per month. Apart from any travel outside of Thailand, and/or extraordinary entertainment expenses, I think 1M baht per year should/would keep Joe Average in a comfortable lifestyle in BKK. If you manage OK on 1M baht equivalent in your home country per year, you will live quite well in Thailand on that amount.

Really depends if you go whoring or not, IMO.

Spot-on.

If you live in Bangkok full time, it's far better to get a "regular" girlfriend or a couple of gik's (fuck-buddies for want of a better term) than go whoring all the time. You'll save HEAPS more this way.

Being honest and using my own situation:

My salary here is 75,000 baht per month or there abouts. Just under a million per year.

My studio apartment is 15,000 baht per month. It's small but I live by myself. Just how much space does one person need???

That leaves 2000 baht per day to spend on other things and to save.

I don't go out that much in Bangkok anymore. Maybe 2 nights a week, sometimes three.

My favourite bar in Soi Cowboy where I just "go to drink and relax and chew the fat" has 60 baht beers for happy hour until 9. As I've been drinking there for about 8 years everyone knows me, I don't get any hassle for lady drinks (though still buy a few for the girls here and there) and I feel comfortable.

I have 2 regular girls with office jobs whom I met through the internet who are quite happy *NOT* to be a girlfriend, and we go to the movies, out to eat, or a niteclub sometimes. Sometimes they stay at my apartment afterwards.

I have a regular girl from a gogo in BKK who is happy with 1000 baht for a ST if I'm feeling a bit randy and want a "quick fix". The girls are asking such ridiculous money in Bangkok I have given up on longtime. I'm working every day except most weekends anyway, so long time isn't really a viable option.

I go down to Pattaya on average once-a-month for a four day sojourn. This is where I do my major drinking and whoring for the month. So much better value than BKK. I have 2 regular girls I take in Pattaya so I don't have to go on "the hunt" and spend a fortune on lady drinks trying to find the right girl for the night.

I eat a mixture of local and western food. A 30 baht bowl of kway teow on the street will do me just fine, and sometimes I might go to an English Pub and have a meal for 250-300 baht. Depends on the mood.

I don't go shopping for clothes or shoes very often. So I don't spend much money in that regard.

My internet connection in my apartment is 900 baht per month, and the UBC TV is about 1,500 baht per month.

Most months I actually manage to save a little bit here-and-there as well.

Yeah - sure I'd love a huge salary living here. Then I'd be out shagging every night, my table would be full of lady drinks, my ego would be stroked to the point where I thought I was Brad Pitt and I'd be too hung-over to go to work every day. Lucky I don't want that.

Living in Bangkok is about BALANCE. Whatever the salary. Throw a kid into Disneyland and he's going to want to take a spin on the rides all the time when he first gets there. It's the same here - you are living in one of the best big cities for men on the PLANET! (If not the best!) If you're here for work, you can't lead a "holiday lifestyle". (If you are retiring here or have so much money you don't need to work then it's a different story).

So... I don't earn huge money by any stretch. Maybe more than an average English teacher, but far less than a lot of other expats. But I have a great time, want for nothing, and enjoy myself from day-to-day very much.

So you don't need a huge salary to live here comfortably. You just need to be savvy, build up your local knowledge and have self-discipline.

As I said, it's all about balance.

Good advice! I have been comming to Thailnad for two weeks or more about once a year for the past 8 years or so. I have often thought about moving there for an extended period.

I a little over $100k (US) back in the states per year if you add everything together. My jest was to see if I could swing living in BKK for a whole year if I did not work pretty much at all.

So with the numbers you gents have brought up I think it could be done.

I spend 2-3 megabaht per year. I have no budget and travel some. This year I have a livin g/f and will probably spend less as I not go into the bars as often. Friends in Roi Et, Udon Thani and Hua Hin live on less. A friend in Hua Hin goes out a lot and travels quite a bit. He has an income of $4000US (tax free) and says he does not spend it all.

Archived