Exam certicates?

Lusty

I've got to agree with that. UK channel 5 did a survey this morning and concluded 33% of people lie on their CV regarding their qualifications, usually upping the grades received, or claiming qualifactions never passed. I personally know a chap who invented an enginearing degree to get a job on a Sri-Lankan dam project, his previous total enginearing experience was only a 6 month TOPS course on hydraulic fitting, amazingly he got away with it and made a pot of money. Are you out there Paul N**********, people are curious? :smirk: I've never been asked to actually produce any qualifications whatsoever, IMO it would be easy to tell lies and get away with it, I think, if you got caught, an employer would just invite your resignation rather than admit (to their bosses) they'd been hoodwinked.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a boss in the UK last week (Hotel Company) who was just about to be promoted to Board Level on £350,000 a year after a very successful career with the company, when they found out the three degrees on his CV were bogus.

He however had been a very successful senior manager for years. Lying on your CV is dishonest yes?? but sometimess necessary to get past the thick HR professionals, who daily justify there jobs by coming up with shit like Competency based interviews, assessment centres etc etc

Depends on which country.

Some countries (HR officers/managers) rely hevaily on the educational background.

(No bachelor or master in this field then forget applying)

Other countries are more interested in the employment background and personal realizations of the candidates.

Plus all the differences between the cultures.

Take some examples:

- Thailand or Belgium rely heavily on the educational background (even if it does not mean much in Thailand...with the education system)

-> If you do not have the diploma required then you are not even considered worthy of an interview.

- USA: Most recruiters are more interested by the employment record of the candidates and by their personality and qualities than by a piece of paper.

etc......

The worst job I ever had (I mean I was doing a loosy job) was one I got due to the fact I had the

"perfect bachelor and CV" (I did a very very bad work)

The best job I did: I was recruited based on my personal qualities rather than on my diplomas.

Its a pity HR Professionals can not be more business minded and employ based on qualities, presentation and work record.

Have to admit best job I ever had was gained from a lunchtime chat with the MD over a beer.

Worse one (company were clueless) was gained after a two day assessment centre, numerous interviews and security vetting.

Back to the OP I would lie on my CV and at interview to gain a job if the HR people were so anal as to not move on until I had score a tick on their list.

Thais respect degrees, though it gets a bit bizarre (or just plain silly) when they hire someone with absolutely no qualifications in the field they actually want. I saw an experienced English teacher with an education degree get passed over for a teaching position and another applicant hired because he had a master's. (It was an MS in Physics!)

Another time a stunningly attractive half-Indian gal was turned down, despite her 1st honours in Linguistics from the Australian National University. I asked the dept head why. The answer: "She's not a native speaker. Her mother's an Indian." Well, uh ... her father's a Brit and she was born and raised in Australia. (Thais and their damned prejudice against Indians.)

Oh, I agree. It happens all the time,nepotism.

I'd just hate to see someone land in the shit.

Remember the 80's though, when the City became, if not a meritocracy, then a place where 'barrow boys from Essex' could piss all over some of the Tarquins?

Sadly, I think that's gone. When Nick Leeson fucked up Barings I remember that the press and the City kept on about his 'working class, council estate roots'. That's code for criminality in those quarters.

It's certainly an offence in the UK to use fake qualifacations in order to obtain employment, but it's rarely prosecuted. A recent survey indicated 33% had lied on their CV when applying for jobs but, other than the odd press report, I don't know of anyone who's been prosecueted. I know of many people working in high level jobs who have few, if any, formal qualifications, lack of paperwork doesn't equate to lack of ability, 20 years of actual experience is far more relevent to your capability of doing a job, than the result of exams sat half a lifetime ago. Having said that, I wouldn't want to be in the care of a doctor who'd not made it through medical school, or fly on an 747 maintained by a truck mechanic who'd lied on his CV.

What is a lie?

- Of course someone who has no qualifications at all for the job (the 747 example) is a lier.

What is a limit between a lie and just making things look better on a CV?

About the 747:

While working on an airport I met one day a ground technician (airplane maintenance) who was competent, had the right qualifications but admitted that he had the worst short time memory possible.......

-> Would not like to board a plane on which he worked.......

Archived