Exam certicates?

Lusty

What is a lie?

Any statement made that is known to be untrue at the time it was made.

What is a limit between a lie and just making things look better on a CV?

When it involves making an untrue statement, there is no ambiguity here at all. Claiming a grade A+ pass when you actually obtained a grade B- pass would be a lie, but claiming an unspecified pass would be presenting yourself the best light and perfectly legitimate, it's not rocket science.

Would not like to board a plane on which he worked.......

No I wouldn't, but this is a different situation altogether and doesn't involve making untrue statements. Over time, a persons ability to perform their duties can change due to age, injury or illness etc. In some occupations, these dissabilities can be accomodated without detriment, in others they would be dangerous and could not be overlooked. As far as I'm aware, performance critical jobs have protocols in place to identify such people, airline pilots, train drivers and firemen, spring to mind, but many more occupations are subject to routine examination for continuing competency/ability levels. I would have thought licensed aircraft engineers would fall into that catagory, maybe OH can clarify.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the UK there are no competency tests for Doctors once they have passed their medical degree.

I worked at the GMC for two years on the scheme to introduce five yearly assessments, it was thrown out due to pressure from the medical profession. Remember that next time you visit your doctor.

In order for a doctors competence to be examined you (as the patent) have to make a formal complaint usually after he/she has killed someone or missed a vital sign of illness.

Pre Dr Shipman doctors with child molesting, drink and drugs convictions were welcomed back by the profession reasons given were that they were middles class professionals who had fallen off the wagon and needed help.

You means there's no medical examiner's exam before you can practice? In the US you have to pass the exam, not just graduate.

However, I remember my father telling me that one of his fellow engineer's had a brother who'd failed the NY State medical exam twice. The brother was studying for another try. My dad asked what would happen if he failed again. The engineer replied that no one failed on the third try. After all those years of education, the board figured you deserved to be a doctor - even if incompetent.

:p

You work as a junior doctor for a period and are assessed by your peers, there is no formal examination after you have your degree.

Once a doctor is considered competent, there are no official methods of re-examination. Doctors in the NHS may or may not be assessed by their peers at yearly intervals, doctors in private practice (NHS and non NHS) do not have any re-assessment at all.

Also in the UK any doctor from the EEC can practice medicine merely by having a degree, by law the UK is not allowed to test for competence.

Non EEC doctors with a degree must pass a simple examination, also the UK cannot test EEC doctors for language skills.

Lusty said:

"Well,I've been honest and hard working all my life and it hasn't got me anywhere!"

That'll teach you a lesson! too bad you got it so late...

A few years back I bought a student card in KSR, it actually not only allowed me to get student fares but also to open a current student account in Germany, a country where I wasn't even registered. Whereas without the card they would have asked me politely to fuck off, they opened the account, allowed around 2000DM overdraft and it was prolly free or very cheap as a student account. Those 100TBH were definetely a very good investment.

• 3 weeks later...
What is a lie?

What is a limit between a lie and just making things look better on a CV?...

Being knowingly economical and canny with the "truth" â?? omitting anything that would show you in a bad light â?? :rolleyes: is something I assume everyone in his right mind does on his CV. I don't remember listing "sex tourism" :hubba: and "binge drinking" :drunk: as my hobbies on my resume. I think I put "reading" and "swimming" or some other innocuous clutching-at-straws-billy-no-mates shit like that. :angel: Is that a lie? Maybe.

But I have a criminal conviction. When there's a box saying "do you have any criminal convictions" I always check "No". That's a lie. It was over 2 decades ago, and a very minor offence, so I reassure myself by thinking that, if anyone rumbled me, I could say I thought it would have been wiped off the slate by now. Maybe it has? I just don't know.

But forged exam certificates? I wouldn't risk that. :nono: Just a bit too brazen, I think.

Each to his own, like, and best of luck to anyone who gives it a shot. :beer: I've served on several appointments committees, interviewing and assessing (western) candidates for jobs in education and management here in Japan, and I know fully well that qualifications on paper usually tell you f*ck all about a person's reliability, sanity, likeability, and competence to do a good job.

Unfortunately, a lot of the committee dipsticks who make the final decisions on whom to appoint are not aware of this and are solely interested in the number and providence and level of certificates an applicant is brandishing, regardless of whether he or she is a worthless unstable raving loony. :(

jack :help:

Archived