Uzbekistanis no. Romanians. Yes. Kazakhs no Ukrainians Yes

Famous Grouse

This today from Pattaya City News where writers seems to think their jokes are good.

At around 3:30am on Thursday Immigration police led by Colonel Itipon swooped on Walking Street and rounded up 22 Uzbekistani nationals, all of them female, and took them back to the Immigration offices in Jomtien to be charged with engaging in prostitution.

Ten of the Uzbekistani women were found to have expired passports, and these ladies of easy virtue will be locked up before being deported. The remaining dozen, whose passports and visas were all in order, were fined, slapped on the wrist and told to go forth and not spend their evenings lying on their backs as this can cause substantial weight gain.

So what do the Tourist Police have against Uzbeks and Kazaks?

There are two bars clubs on walking street on Pattaya both feature only Russian, Ukrainian, or Romanian girls - one featuring dancing in a glass box outside.

Historically Pattaya's (brave?) foreign police volunteers seem eager to join in the arrests of the Uzbekis but not the Russian or Ukrainians.

Is this racism talking or well, hard cash?

They should ask the girls (Like I did)

I am also wondering why foreigners have been setting up foreign prostitutes in Thailand.

Is this service really of value to the average tourist?

Footnote: How can I complain about Pattaya City News. The lead picture in the Pattaya Daily News is a Norwegian strung up on a water pipe.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oooh, look lads - he's branching out, making a completely new topic. He's being drawn in. :grinyes:

How would it be racism? Isn't it pretty difficult to tell a Russian from an Uzbekistani? Don't they look pretty much the same? The countries are right next to each other, aren't they?

Why do you want to complain about a picture of a dead man? I don't get this Western media hypocrisy. Don't people die? Aren't you supposed to show real life (which includes death)? Haven't I seen movies of John Kennedy's head exploding on TV? I watch the news and they make some big stupid excuse for not showing dead bodies YET THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS! Maybe if you showed a few more, people might drive a bit more slowly, not get into so many stupid fights, not be intent on violent revenge for the merest of slights.

Instead, after the news, the media will carry on with its program full of films where people get shot, stabbed, blown up without a thought and dramas focusing on murder, violence, revenge...

Not an ethical issue. It's one of taste.

If say your daughter was raped you would not want to see her naked battered body on the front page of a newspaper as has happened.

I guess the Norwegian has family too.

Russians/Kazaks

And yes. Its quite obviously not racial. Not many of the Uzbekis, Kazaks etc coming to Thailand are naturally Kazaks/Uzbeks (which are predom Muslim)

They are all ethnically Russian.

I'm not fanatical about the BBC. Here we are not spoiled for choice. So what is the better alternative?

No Tourist Police Volunteers here then?

It's the loved one being dead part that matters and hurts, not any guff that goes on around it. When I've had a bereavement of any violent sort, I couldn't care less about any photographic image like that. It doesn't make any difference to the fact that your loved one is dead and you have your mental images that are as bad anyway. You'll go through it all whatever happens. You're in your own world from that day on and nothing like some photo of the truth you already know can make it worse. You think about it all the time anyway.

I find the attitude here more healthy in a way. People see photos of murder victims, accidents, etc in papers and get used to it as a fact of life. They are able to separate out the important from the ephemeral. It's just a photo of the body afterwards, a confirmation of what you knew.

Going on your logic, the media shouldn't report it at all. The words in the description could bring it all back. You think they don't? Some guy reads the words "x was beaten and raped". That's his daughter.

Tourist volunteer police? My prejudice would tell me that they're sneaky grasses or power-crazed people with some kind of agenda. But I have no experience to confirm that and as long as Pattaya bars continue to 'show' and stay open to the small hours, I'm happy to put that to the back of my mind.

It's the Pattaya Mail that I really don't like. What a waste of 25 baht that is.

There is nothing in it of interest. Nothing. Bugger all. I don't know how it stays in business. The local newsletter for the in-crowd in Pattaya. Oh, look - we're in the paper.

Pattaya People is marginally better. It has a rather unusual writing style and has stories about Pattaya.

If you want to see plenty of pictures of the proprietor and the same old farangs every week go to Pattaya Mail. You can also follow its courageous history and the awards it gives itself every year.(For praising the Town Hall, Police, and people of influence)

If you want to follow the rise to stardom of a Dane with a v-e-r-y interesting background go to Pattaya People. Go to the TV for lots more fawning interviews in Danglish with local businessmen and courageous policemen.

If you want to be repeatedly but slowly hit over the head with a pillow by people from Basildon and Billericay go to Pattaya City News.

If you want a journalist who will accept a substantial payment for keeping you out of the television and newspapers, fix your payment for that acquittal, or bail go to (Edited for legal reasons). Of course declining these services could result in confessing to a lot more, after being zapped with a tazer, which this particular journalist has allegedly used in his role as p/t policeman.

And if you want the s.p. from a blog, whose members include Ambassadors, international statesmen, members of the Forbes 100, persons of extreme influence, the late Elvis Presley and Mother Theresa. Come to Thai360.

----

BTW with so many foreigners in Pattaya there must be some retired television programme maker somewhere to advise local TV to avoid scenarios like this.

Voice Over/ lots of people drinking and eating canapes, strange people staring blankly into camera: Sync in Indian accent:"Money raised for charity. At 9.15 pm on Friday June 15th members of the Pattaya Tiddliwinks Club raised over 3000 baht for charity at their sponsored stand around and mumble competition at the We Advertise Here Hotel.

Winner of the event was heart-surgeon cum Formula 1 racing driver Dr.Magdy Stubbie"

Cut to Indian woman on camera:

Sync: "Money raised for charity. At 9.15 pm on Friday June 15th members of the Pattaya Tiddliwinks Club raised over 3000 baht for charity at their sponsored stand around and mumble competition at the We Adertise Here Hotel.

Winner of the event was heart-surgeon cum Formula 1 racing driver Dr.Magdy Stubbie"

Cut to visual: Lots of people standing around, looking sidelong into camera, many standing alone holding staring at curtains, walls. Man in Formula 1 suit pinching waitress's bottom."

Cut to Indian woman: "And now the headlines again"

"At 9.15 pm on Friday June 15th............

Archived