Neigbour's star in Udon Thani

panadolsandwich

Lou "Casanova" Carpenter (Tom Oliver) from the popular Australian Neighbours soap opera was seen carousing with BGs in the 'Nana-like' area of Udon Thani.

Me and Fuzzyken had a 'JAR' with him, and he was quite sociable. I must admit it was weird talking to him, not only because I'd grown up watching him on telly and that, but also that I was talking to him in a Udon Thani beer bar. He seemed quite lonely and dejected - like he was about to be convicted of some henious crime or something - and Fuzzyken and I left him there so he could cry into his beer. Quite bizarre!!!

Well nana-like is a gross exaggeration I suppose, and a bit lazy of me to describe it like that. Anyhow it's that strip of beer bars across the street from the Robinson's shopping centre and Charoensi Grand hotel.

You go down this little nondescript alley way and there is roughly 15 to 20 beer bars of dubious distinction that cater for the Farang crowd (prompting my nana-like description).

<< Udon's never been the same since they closed down ADunyadet's Soi 2 and 3 ! >>

Udorn has never been the same since the USAF base was closed about 1974! The highway used to be lined for nearly a mile on both sides with bars, MPs, knocking shops, restaurants and tailors. In many bars the gals wore only high heels whether dancing or mingling with the customers.

<< Udon's never been the same since they closed down ADunyadet's Soi 2 and 3 ! >>

Udorn has never been the same since the USAF base was closed about 1974! The highway used to be lined for nearly a mile on both sides with bars, MPs, knocking shops, restaurants and tailors. In many bars the gals wore only high heels whether dancing or mingling with the customers.

Jesus! They sound like happy days. Man I wish I was there at that time. Udon is still very accommodating I find though. There appears to be a kind of fading memory of all that US activity. I prefer Buriram though - probably for sentimental reasons though.

Archived