Trip report to Nakhon Si Thammarat.

limbo

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mentors, as my wife is from (outside) Surat -I know Kanom well. It is a great "secret" place. In fact we will be going there in 2 weeks time and plan to stay a few nights for some barbecue on the beach before going to Samui. Great for boat trips and relaxation.

/D

This response is for bjon045 and anyone else interested in Nakhon Si Thammarat's nightlife.

My knowledge of the town and surrounding area is because my girlfriend comes from the town. The town is one of the biggest in Thailand and has a long history, with some walls and temples being 700-800 years old. In a population of 100,000, there are about 70 farang residents, so nightlife, such as it is, is for the entertainment of Thais, who seem to enjoy getting drunk at karaoke bars. Possibly the best place to go is to the disco downstairs from the Twin Lotus hotel, the best hotel in the town, but still only 1500 baht per room. Beers are expensive by local standards, about 200 baht for a large Singha. Heineken is not sold in the disco, but is available in other bars of the hotel. The disco is not really a dancing place, other than standing and jigging around your table, but there is quite good live music, and comedy, if you understand Thai. Unfortunately, some of the locals get aggressive after a few drinks, and it is not unknown for fights or shots to break out, but if you keep your head down, you should not come to much harm. Can you pull a girl there? Speaking Thai might help, as very few of the locals speak any foreign language. To summarise, Nakhon Si Thammarat is not a place to party alone, but if you know someone, you can have a good time, especially if you go to one of the local beaches, where food and drink is cheap. Better to use a visit to relax and eat, drink and sleep cheaply and be a tourist. Be careful with the food, some of the local dishes are very spicy. Best time to visit, February to April. During the other months there is heavy rain every day, whereas in February to April, it only rains most days! Hope this is of some use.

Mentors, as my wife is from (outside) Surat -I know Kanom well. It is a great "secret" place. In fact we will be going there in 2 weeks time and plan to stay a few nights for some barbecue on the beach before going to Samui. Great for boat trips and relaxation.

/D

Hi Donut,

What beach and hotel/resort do you stay at? We'll be back in August for a day or two in Khnanom and ideally would like to use a different beach.

Same for Mentors, if you stay at Khanom,where abouts?

Limbo, we stay at a smaller beach to the north. This place once served as the Songserm shipping point to Samui but has closed down many years ago. I think there is only one bungalow on that beach which we might stay at (don't know the name) otherwise we have family in the area and will stay with them. The great thing about this place is that there are NO tourists -not even Thais. The water is shallow which is good for the kids and if lucky a few dolphins might be sighted in the bay.

/D

/D

yes, Khanom and also Sichon is very nice and a nearly "farang free zone"! :thumbup:

resorts are often full booked with middle-class Thais on weekends.

my wife is from Surat, living outside

What beach and hotel/resort do you stay at?

We stayed at Khanom Golden Beach Hotel a couple years back. Most expensive nights hotel stay on my entire trip as the Mrs lost the room key on the great beach outside and replacement cost was twice the room rate! I keep the room keys nowadays.

Archived