GF Wants to Purchase Entertainment Equipment

TheLastEuropean

Ok, here is my take.

I feel that when you life in Thailand sometimes you have to handle things the Thai way. Which means you cannot exert 100% control all of the time. Sometimes you just have to trust the other party.

Look at what way the family treats you. Do they call you family (for instance lung or something like that) or are you farang .... .

For example: One of the movieparts I got last year is because most of the Thai comedians consider me to be part of the family. And treat me as such. The director of that movie also a comedian came to me andsaid because you are family I will give you that part, no casting no nothing and I got the part even though another farang was selected after casting.

You see it is not only about the money it is also about how are you being respected or considered. If you speak Thai listen to them and listen to how they talk about you and with you. In many cases people will take some time to loosen up. But once they are loosened up and used to having that crazy "chao tang chart" around (notice you are not farang anymore, but "foreign gentlemen") you are considered being family, whether you are related or not. And family members are supposed to help eachother out.

So first assess your place with the inlaws.

The work:

This kind of work like comedy comes in droves. Normally around all Buddhist holidays and from November till Songkran. After that it is dead, with a small spurt around the queens birthday (this is for comedy and we perform on the same stages, we usually get hired by people like your inlaws to supplement their shows).

Now for the money part.

For just equipment it sounds a bit expensive to me. But ...... if the man you are buying it from has a good name and can give them performances this money is a small amount. A good name and good connections in this line of work are worth pure gold.

So look clearly at what you are paying for if indeed you are buying a good reputation it is worth it. But make sure your inlaws keep the good reputation. A reputation lost is not easily gained.

And jump on stage yourself from time to time ;)

To be honest do not see it as an investment but for your gf to be proud of herself. Because although she is just a little one, she is a star. And that gives so much face to her because people feel she has achieved something, in Thailand people actually respect this. As opposed to farangs in Holland who feel it is no accomplishment at all and feel everyone can be a comedian in Thailand and in movies and speak Thai (frustrated me speaking here).

Waerth

I am sorry OH but sometimes you should refrain from using western logic. I learned that myself over the years. It will only frustrate you and them. You because you do not understand why they do not follow your logic and them because they do not get why you do not trust their judgement.

Better to steer from the side or just do things without announcing it and see if it works. If it works they will accept without grudges. If you are wavering they will.

Thais are extremely stubborn and will not listen to advice. They will accept if you present them with a fait accompli and it works. They will hold no grudges even. As nobody has lost face.

For example if I go to my boss with new jokes he will tell me how no foreigner knows what Thai people like so I cannot play them. If I just play them on stage he will accept them of people like it and say nothing about it. If people do not laugh I get the "no farang speech" I succeed about 50% of the times.

So try to steer them in the right direction without giving them speeches about logic.

Waerth

All,

Thanks for your input on this topic.

Update - The GF took part of my advice (it's a miracle!) and obtained a list of all the equipment contained in the sale along with the original cost. Of course it was in Thai :banghead: which needs to be translated. The total cost was 465k baht! I have not seen the equipment in person, but there must be a ton of stuff for that cost.

The next step, besides the translation, will be to get comparable prices from a couple of vendors as 456k baht seems like a lot of money paid for band equipment.

Once I have the comparable prices along with the condition/age of the goods I will have a better feel for what I will do.

Thanks again for your input.

TheLastEuropean

Archived