Do any ATM's give onshore rate?

mongatu

I cannot tell you how much of a pain in the arse Bank of America has been on this trip. First I report fraudulent check card charges and they tell me I have to be in the US for them to pursue the claim and just the other day I asked them for my banks routing number as somebody was wiring me money and they ended up giving me a wrong number such that the wire was rejected by the senders bank. That has probably cost me about 17k

If not BoA who do you recommend? HSBC, Ing Direct who?

I stopped using BofA several years ago when I am outside the USA. Their surcharges were extreme.

Citibank is good in that they are all over in every country and you can do everything online, even do your own wire xfers from anywhere in the world.

No cheap, but it all works.

I tried to get $500 t/c's but the bank only had $100's and if they ordered the $500's for me there would be a service charge, so not worth it.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once the auto club stops offering commission free TC's, it probably won't be worth it use TC's, unless you need the safety/security feature.

I have yet to test out my US based banks ATM card (no fees except 1% MC surcharge) to see if I get the onshore rate or not with it.

Also, have yet to test out my Capital One Visa card for purchases. Supposed to be no surcharges there and hopefully also the onshore rate.

Archived