Do any ATM's give onshore rate?

mongatu

I know there has been quite a bit of discussion re exchange rates, fees etc. But I am still unclear on whether it is possible to get the onshore exchange rate (forgetting about atm or home bank fees for the moment) by using a MasterCard based non Thai debit card at a Thai bank ATM. Anyone know if this is possible and if so which Thai bank ATM's provide the onshore rate?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use 3 different ATM cards. I only put enough in account for trip. Better read your agreement. There are all sorts of fees and charges. At least for some. One machine on 2nd Road Pattaya at the bank ate one of my ATM cards. Gone. Never to be seen again. Bank was no help getting it back.

I run the whole gambit. Cash, Traveler's Checks, ATM, and AMEX tied to my checking account.

Interestingly, one of my ATM's did not work in LOS. It is just an ATM tied to my home checking account and uses the NYCE and CIRRUS network. Did not work in Thailand. Tried many times at different locations. Soon as I returned to home country, it worked fine.

The reason I ask is because the last time I was in LOS last year, the rate I was getting from my MasterCard debit card in BKK Bank ATM's pretty much was the same rate shown in Oanda (plus 1%). But now I see that BKK Bank offers much better rates than what Oanda shows.

Don't know about rates, but ALL banks in Thailand now take 1% (at least) on top of your ATM withdrawal amount, regardless of your bank's policy about charging you for using ATMs that aren't theirs.

Used to be that Krung Thai bank (the blue ATMs) didn't charge anything, but they started some time last year.

preahko

Preahko, I totally disagree. Read here for my recent test of exchange rates and ATMs. No evidence of that in my transactions. It is your US bank, I'd bet a BF on it.

Moral? Big US chain banks charge you up the arse for nothing. Shop for a new bank.

Regards,

SD

Preahko, I totally disagree. Read here for my recent test of exchange rates and ATMs. No evidence of that in my transactions. It is your US bank, I'd bet a BF on it.

Moral? Big US chain banks charge you up the arse for nothing. Shop for a new bank.

Regards,

SD

Agree!

When I take out of my Citibank account in BKK, the Citibank statement shows two transactions, for example,

$500 withdrawn from Kasikorn Bank (ATM)

$5.00 transaction fee.

All the small print at the Citibank site states that they (Citibank) charges a 1% "foreign transaction fee" and this is with my CitiGold Accounts...if regular accounts, Citi charges 3%, as do most of the banks.

Last month I opened a Washington Mutual Account and am waiting for the ATM card to check out what they do, as their on-line banking is suppose to offer FREE wire transfers.

I will test drive and report back.

Archived