Solar Flares Messing with Your Cell?

McBif

Who knew?

Next time your cellphone drops a call, don't blame the pesky elevator or subway -- blame the sun.

A Queen's University study, set to be published in an upcoming edition of the international journal, Proceedings of the IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers), has found solar flares are likely to blame for cellphones losing their signal.

The flares, radio-frequency energy bursts emitting from the sun, have a negative impact on cellphones when their host tower's antennae is facing the sun.

The findings show between nine and 20 per cent of calls have been dropped because of the correlation.

Full Article

Scientists have known for a long time that the sun is the source of electrical communication equipment disruption, such as short wave radios, etc. I don't know why it took them so long to finger the sun as a probable source of problems for contemporary communication devices.

And there was i slagging off true for the poor quality of their network and oversubscribing and under investing...but i was wrong...who knew indeed...sorry true, i take it all back...and when they say the internet is shite because of all the rain, well, they must've been telling the truth all along..how i've misjudged them!

Archived