What? 1$=31 Thai Baht? :shocked:

Try getting a Capitol One Visa card. Favorable exchange rate and no foreign currency transaction fees whatsoever. Visa charges 1% and most banks add another couple of percent to that. Capitol One even picks up the 1% that Visa charges.

$50 and $100 bills get you an ever so slightly better rate than a $100 traveller's check after you subtract the 33 baht per check fee for each traveller's check.

As an example let's look at today (9 July):

Capitol One Visa $100 purchase = 3380 baht

http://corporate.visa.com/pd/consumer_services/consumer_ex_results.jsp?from=USD&to=THB&rate=0.0

$100 Bill = 3351 baht

$100 Traveller's check = 3378-33=3345 baht

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/Web+Services/Rates/FX+Rates.htm

So, not much of a difference between these 3 methods. I used to use ATM's mostly, but my home bank has started charging foreign transaction fees which coupled with ATM fees result in a 4-5% hit :(

Oh, I also get 1.25% cash back rebate from the credit card at the end of the year, which actually makes it an even better deal.

Congratulations on being able to upgrade with miles. It's the best use for them IMO but really hard to actually redeem, especially on those $1300 flights.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use Capital One for any purchases outside the USA and yes, no foreign transaction fee (FTF) on purchases!

I shopped around and Capital One was the only card that I found without the 1 ~ 3% FTF.

Good price on the flight! I usually fly United but they mark up the tickets that can use the upgrades. I have a lot of miles but the ticket that you can upgrade has been double the price of the regular (V class?) economy class ticket :mad:

I will have to shop around some!

I use Amex and have never had a FTF applied and I know for a fact that they will calculate the exchange rate based upon, as I recall from talking with them, the one posted by the London Times of all things! (I would have thought it would be the wall street journal but that is what they said.)

Interesting story, my mate and I had drinks and cigars at the Bamboo Bar at the Oriential one aftetrnoon as is customary. I offered to buy the first round and paied with AmEx, starting a tab. We had one beer, one Scotch, and two Montecristo #2s. After a time as cigars were smoked and bullshit talked it came to the point to refill the glasses. I had an epiphiney so we closed out my tab, placed the exact same order, and I paied with my visa card.

Later back in the states I compaiered the receipts and the card statements to see if there was any difference in the rates I received and fees charged. Remarkably they were with in about $2 of each other but the visa did charge more.

I tend to pay with AmEx as I like their point system more and rack up a ton of them. Havent paied for a ticket business class or First Class in donkeys years. In fact, the only time I ever paied for a ticket to BKK was m,y first time going!

Dr .Wonderlust-

Just caught this.

Not angry and not bitter at all. I don't hate white women- one gave birth to me.

When it comes to pay for play that is where I draw the line. Think most other posters on this board do as well.

Recently I have had the duty of going out in the San Francisco Bay Area- where the original poster is flying from- with guys who do what a lot of us do in BKK. It is interesting to see what guys spend on angry white women who clearly think that no amount of money is enough to compensate for them having to resort to nudity.

I am not joking- men in this sexual wasteland pay over a hundred dollars to see a white heavily tattooed skank ram a dildo into her pussy for ten minutes. A private â??toy showâ?Â. How much fun would US$100 buy in Bangkok?

Thanks for the diagnosis. Maybe a flight to Northern California would change your pinion........

Quincy-

Try calling some of the travel agents around Japan Town in San Francisco. There are a lot of them.

There are often unreal deals on JAL that would be less than US$1,000 all in even at a fairly late date. The SFO - Tokyo and return part is the exact same price with or without the BKK leg.

If you call around there are always good deals on Korean Air and often on Asiana as well.

I thought resurections happened somewhere around Easter....you know .....when that fcuked up Rabbit drops chocolate eggs all over the place...

Hmmmm ....musta been mistaken...better be careful not to step on those "Choco;ate Eggs"...

:grinyes::grinyes:

Archived