All Hmong must go

Old Hippie

It started with trekkers but there's been a gradual progression. I remember when the Akha first showed up in the Chiang Mai night bazar....mid-80s. Started to see Akha girls in the bars...mid-90s.

I think the tour guides there have pretty much taken over the small-scale opium trade. It's part of the remote hill tribe village experience.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before the commie takeover in Laos, an opium pipe went for 4 baht in the dens of Wiengchan. The Farang junkies would teach English in Japan for six months of the year, and spend the next six months amongst the clouds in Laos. :p

The Akha are not exactly the largest tribe. Nevertheless, they are certainly the most enterprising. (My neighbour chatted up a cute young vendor at KSR and got her phone number. He didn't have the nerve to following it up though.)

The former Lanna with its Hmong, Akha, Karen, Lisu and (if you allow) Naga is actually like the Balkans when it comes to ethnicity...unfortunately for them they have no "historical" importance in todays history books - partly because they were left, abandoned and forgotten with lots of empty promises by the British when the Raj abruptly ended in 1948.

After that they clung to whoever promised them a slice of independence. Which made them easily available to become "freedom fighters" for US policy...

Simplified, I know. But basically they've never seen themselves (or were ever recognized) as a part of "Burma", "China" (manchurian, revolutionary or communist China), Laos (lowland) or Thailand.

Looks like the Hmong have a reprieve... cooler heads in the gov seem to have prevailed...

Hmong Can Stay

Hmong can stay for now

Thailand will allow ethnic Hmong migrants to continue staying at Ban Huay Nam Khao camp in Phetchabun's Khao Kho district for the time being, chairman of the Council for National Security Sonthi Boonyaratkalin said.

He said Thailand will have to take into consideration human rights principles if it is to repatriate them.

Previously, Supreme Commander Boonsrang Niumpradit had threatened to deport all the Hmong to Laos since no countries had come forward to offer them resettlement.

There are around 7,700 Hmong living at the camp.

Gen Sonthi, however, urged the Lao government to step up measures to prevent Hmong migrants from sneaking across the border.

He said the Lao government was deeply concerned about the issue.

The CNS chairman said the issue of Hmong was raised during his trip to the neighbouring country to bid farewell to Lao army leaders and other senior officials. Gen Sonthi, also army chief is about to retire at the end of next month.

Archived