Amount of $ carrying into thailand

Phuketster

$10,000 is nothing these days. It's time for them to raise it.

Travelers checks count, too.

At JFK, they used to have customs agents hiding on the gangway to the Korean Air flights.

When the First Class passengers were called they were greeted by a squad of guys and made to open their attache cases.

I flew economy and they just waved me past. Most of the First class Korean biz men were the last to board.

Now, the security Xray would pick up stacks of cash, in luggage. Or the metal strips would set off the scanner, if you had them on your body.

• 2 weeks later...

There is so much confusion here, its not funny.

The info above with respect to taking money into and out of Thailand is accurate AFIK, except the limit for exporting cash is higher if the destination is a ASEAN country (check with Thai customs, don't take our word for it!)

When taking cash or negotiable instruments out of the U.S., you can take any amount, but if it is US$10,000 or more, you have to report it on the "Report of International Transportation of International Currency or Monetary Instruments (FinCen 105)" form BEFORE you take it out. And as one poster mentioned, if you don't report it, it is all subject to confiscation, plus other possible criminal penalties. Don't "Just say no." Obey the law and avoid becoming a criminal.

Simple as that.

http://hungary.usembassy.gov/travel_customs.html

Our company gets transfers over that amount out of China to Thailand regularly. Maybe for individuals?

The $5K is the amount you can carry on your person in/out of China.

The business wire transfer usually requires some type of Chinese gov approval.

I found the Chinese gov to be very anal about money issues...try to exchange a few thousand of Chinese Yuan without documents showing how you go the Yuan...I always keep any receipts that I get when I exchange a foreign currency to Yuan as if I change back to a foreign currency they want to make sure you have not been illegally working in China.

Archived