Healthy Thai food

Westbam

I can recommend you some restaurants in BKK where you get can real healthy food. As I am a health-freak myself I always use this list when I am in BKK. I hope you'll find it usefull too:

Tamarind Cafe, 27 Sukhumvit Soi 20

Zgi Café, 46/1 Sukhumvit Soi 24

Lemongrass, 5/1 Sukhumwit soi 24

Amaranth, 545 Sukhumvit soi 31

Rasayana 57 Sukhumvit Soi 39 , Soi Phrom Mit

Suki Jeh Ru , Rama 4, 285 Soi Phraya Singhaseni

Aim-Boon, 1497 Rama 4 (at Soi Chulalongkorn 11 corner)

Anotai, 976/17 Soi Rama 9 (near Rama IX hospital)

Om Boon, 130/26-27 Phayathai Road

Very interesting question. I am not sure there are that many people on this board could answer that question correctly...

My guess:

If you look at thai people on average, definately on the thin side without the fat you see westerners carry. It doesn't mean they are in shape or have muscle tone.

They do consume a lot of pork, duck and frid food everywhere....

But how they eat in frequent multiple meals and in samll amounts (no super size portions here)and what they don't eat is as important as what they do eat....

Thank God sweets/candy and desserts, carbonated/sugar drinks, processed food, fast food, beef and potatoes mentality are pretty much exempt from their diet...

A staple of rice and water seems to save their waistline as well other strategic body locations...Lack of obesity and BMI would only represent slivers of what is deemed healty food effects...

Still don't know if thai food is healthy or not...

CB

I find Thai food in general quite un healthy due to its extreme levels of white sugar/fatty cooking oils,deep fried everything,salts,coconut oils and msg which is everywhere.

White rice is mostly sugar and diabetes is ramapant in LOS

There are a plethora of quality veg restaurants all over BKK-Jamlawn's resty near Ari BTS is excellent ...Many of the food courts like in Amarin Plaza have a bit better Thai food areas..

It's easy to make these sweeping statements (especially if your GF leads you to believe it) but while there is a lot of healthy Thai food there is also a lot of unhealthy Thai food. Any diet high in vegetables, whole grains, nuts with a good amount of seafood and a moderate amount of meat is beneficial. Diets high in sugar, salt, white bread, white rice and saturated cooking oils (like palm oil) are unhealthy. You can't just blindly eat any food with a Thai label and think that's healthy.

Archived