China Has Been Rejecting U.S. Ships

Steve

Can you say...wake up call for the USA???

Its really a global wake up call. Things won't happen in a vacumn. Europe has just as much to worry about China as the U.S., possibly more.

I may sound a bit alarmist but if China becomes the next global leader in its present state it will truly be the beginning of a new Dark Age.

Taiwan is a lost cause. We sold out Taiwan when Nixon went to China. It was a matter of time anyway, he just ended it sooner. As far as Tibet , well if supporting the DL is the right thing to do then you do the right thing. I don't know enough about that situation to say one way or the other. Selling arms to Taiwan is just to make money, as I said, we already acknowledged China's claim to it over 30 years ago.

For me the only real hope is to encouraging democracy in China and hope it becomes a republic or something similar BEFORE they become the next 'uber' power. The people are experiencing some freedoms and its very hard to take it back once given. Give someone a taste of freedom and it grows. The mainland see the openess in Hong Kong and its contagious. When they get Taiwan, the Taiwanese will have a similar effect on the mainland. They will see the benefits of capitalism and that will (hopefully) drive the people of the mainland to demand more.

China has a potential internal problem as well. They have neglected and misused the rural poplulation, especially the rift between the Chinese in the south and the urban centers. That is a huge potential problem that could get violent.

Finally, global trade. Its encouraging capitalism and western style openness will be imported along with it. The good thing for all of us is that China wants to be in good standing to some extent and regarded on par with the west. It wanted the Olympics badly because of that need to be seen as our peers. They worry about their reputation as an oppressive state and that is encouraging.

So, the race is helping China change to be more like us BEFORE they become bigger than the U.S. as a world power.

Archived