UK Releases Former Gitmo Prisoner

Steve

LONDON - A Britain resident released from the U.S. prison camp at Guantanamo Bay was reunited with his family Thursday for the first time in five years after a judge rejected a Spanish request to jail him on suspicion of belonging to an al-Qaida cell.

Jamil el-Banna, a Palestinian-Jordanian, met his wife, Sabah, and his five children for the first time since 2002, when he was arrested in Africa and handed to U.S. authorities.

El-Banna, 45, was among three British residents who were flown back from the U.S. prison camp late Wednesday under a deal struck between London and Washington. All three were held without charge or trial at Guantanamo for more than four years.

El-Banna was arrested hours after returning from Cuba and appeared in a London court Thursday after Spanish police demanded his extradition on charges of belonging to an al-Qaida terrorist cell.

The guy looks like Gandalf in the pic...lol. I recall reading an article by a security expert who said that these guys not only have very dated info, if they are in fact al Qaida but its in our best interest to release them. For one, we all have their biometic data so its almost impossible for them to get back into the country and will be easily identified by any other western country who wants to deny them entry.

Second, even if they do try to get involved with al Qaida, more than likely we or the host country will have agents and they can lead us to others. Since they are known to the west, they will not be used to carry out any kind of mission. The person made what I considered some valid points. Plus, I am not comfortable with retaining anyone, even known al Qaida persons without some legal representation.

I hope the new president sorts out Gitmo.

Archived