Coliseum-Suk Soi 40

Ranger

Checked this new place out tonight with the GF and another couple. It's right on Sukhumvit, near Soi 40 (very near the Thong Lo skytrain station). It's billed as a brew pub/arena, but I would call it a big restaurant with a stage show. It sure had some of the hottest looking welcome girls I have ever seen, for sure! The interior is huge with restaurant table style seating spread out over multiple levels. They obviously put some big bucks into the decor and lighting and sound sytems. They had a huge Mt. Rushmore on one side of the stage and a Thai version on the other (the GF said it had the 4 most recent Thai Presidents before Thaksin). Kind of bizzare, I thought.

We got there right after dinner around 8:30 and stayed until 10:30. In hindsight, we should have eaten dinner here as that's what everyone else seemed to be doing. They had an extensive Thai and western menu with the cheaper dishes in the 100B range. Drinks were very reasonable also. They seemed to rotate bands every set. We got in on the tail end of a katoey lead singer that was finishing off by telling jokes. After a 30 minute break (during which they showed America's Funniest Home Videos on 3 giant projection TV screens and the DJ played pop music at a level where you could actually converse with someone), a decent band played a combination of Thai and Farang pop songs. Both the male and female lead singers were quite good and the music was live and not canned.

There is no place for dancing and I am not sure if the music gets more eclectic later in the evening. It's not a disco, nor a pick-up place for sure. The crowd was mostly 30-40ish upper-class Thai's. I imagine the crowd would get younger later in the evening. I did see a few other Farangs with their respectable looking "dates". I would suggest it as a place for a laid back evening meal and drinks. I wouldn't take a bar girl here unless she was properly dressed unless you "don't give a shit what anyone thinks".

A fun, inexpensive, mellow evening and I will try it again some night for dinner for sure. If nothing else, just to check out the welcome girls again!

Ranger

Archived