Chiang Rai MUST SEEs

loner w/a boner

Not a great deal of Sanuk, few bars in the city Area around Jed Yod Road.

Plenty to see otherwise, hire a car and take a run up to the Mekong at Chiang Saen and follow the river back to Mae Sai.

Cross into Burma and do a bit of shopping. Tuktuk drivers offer rides to short time sanuk there but I cannot advise further, never having accepted the offers.

Couple of days should do it, you'll either file it away as a "story over a few drinks" memory or pack up and move here.

Rent a motor bike to get around. Go out to Pattaya Noi. a river beach with some good food. For girls try the little street off Jet Yod that starts with the Lobo bar. Nice hilltribe girls with very limited english, but pleased to see an exotic farang. Also try the Inncome massage across the main road from Big-C, There are some Karaoke shacks around that area too

I've enjoyed my trips up to the Maekhong. It might be touristy and all but there is nothing like sitting on the river bank while drinking a Thai ice tea. To me that feels so good.

Chiang Saen is fantastic. Lots of old temples and cheddies.

Chiang Rai is a very nice place although I haven't seen much of it.

Pick up the Blue Guide or the Michelin Guide for Thailand, lots of good information on the sights.

• 2 weeks later...

Just south of Chiang Rai, off Highway 1, there is Wat Rong Khun - definitely not the same old temple, it's completely white... you also get to cross over "hell" on your way in. :-)

It as designed and paid for by some Thai artist (forget his name) he happened to be there the day I went, and was signing autographs and taking pictures with people.

sip

Archived