Backpacker blog gets SLAUGHTERED

bibblies

Left-leaning British newspaper, The Guardian, think it would be a good idea to get a journalist's teenage son to write a blog about his ever-so original 'travelling' experiences. (He's going to... guess... India and Thailand! :) )

Just skim it and then look at the comments - http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/travelog/2008/02/skins_blog.html

The comments make it. They're brilliant and just keep going! I've never see a blog get so (deservedly) slaughtered... Every deserved target hit.. :)

Nepotism is nothing new in the British Press but I thought the Guardian was supposed to be different :) Looks like young Gogarty made a few gap year bloggers jealous. :smirk:

They're positively frothing at the mouth aren't they?

I wonder how many punched dear old Dad on the nose that morning for not having a good job at a newspaper.

I think they had to close it to comments.

Not before his dad got a word in...

maxdad

Comment No. 943306

February 15 12:07

As Andy Pietrasik's blog hasn't mentioned the fact Max won't be writing any more blogs, I thought I'd bring all those heroic internet warriors the good news. Max's trip (which he paid for himself I'm afraid - sorry) has got off to the worst possible start and he's feeling pretty grim so that's double good news for the brave warriors. You may like or dislike the blog but the cruelty is shocking if quintessentially British. Obviously everyone in his family is very hurt for Max so that's a bonus. I won't be reading any more smug clever dick comments but feel free to kick me around the field a bit now - just please leave Max alone. He hasn't actually done anything wrong and you have your wish - he won't be writing any further blogs.

Excellent - nor should he have written any in the first place.

As one of the first entries said - was this the winner from a travel writing competition?

Would have been great if they held a comp like that for young writers.

Max and mates might learn taking a cushy job in the public eye from parents isn't a smart move.

Unfortunately most students and "gappys" do end up getting cushy jobs from Dad or other relatives. I know I did. He also got a lot of my mates holiday jobs as well. Lets face it, if you have a job going you may as well keep it in the family.

It's not like he was made managing editor is it?

Another triumph for free speech.

Nah - stupid on the newspapers part, get a job in the mail room, who'd know or care, get a job in the public view of COURSE your going to get attention.

NOte people actually bitching about his style and "Gap" status before they worked out who he was.

I used to read The Guardian daily (don't extrapolate too much from that; back then I read every national on a daily basis but enjoyed a lot of Guardian output, Simon Hattenstone's stuff in particular.)

For the Guardian, Emily Barr wrote up loads of 'backpacking in Thailand' stuff a few years ago, even got a novel out of it ('Backpack') and the column had a bloggy style that was entertaining. For instance, she raved about Thor's place on White Sands Beach in Koh Chang and yeah, having been there since, she got that right.

Some bed-wetter from Muswell Hill or Highgate prating on about how poor people are in India ('and yet so dignified'), how he had some 'street food' in Kao San Road (right,laddie!), spent 48 hours on the toilet with amoebic dysentry (dodgy pie s'all) is just so...lame.

I meet a lot of backpacker/gap yeary people down here and some of them really are entertaining, interesting young people. Some are plain daft: one guy decided to go into Iraq with his fisherman's pants and Kangol beanie, couldn't find a banana pancake for love nor money.

There are some good stories but it would need a sparkier character than that little chap to blog them.

(My nephew for instance. He's a twat an' all)

Archived