Fit Hits Shan in the Stan

Fidel

So, the elections passed off peacefully.. and then today:

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan (CNN) -- A suicide bomber struck Pakistan's military headquarters in Rawalpindi Monday, killing at least eight people, including the army's top ranking medical officer, military officials said.

The bomber apparently was disguised as a beggar and there are reports that 3 other bombs were found in the vicinity.

Full Story

And this, in my inbox:

...there are reports of violence in Mansehra city. Unidentified miscreants are burning tyres on the roads. There are also reports of two bomb blast heard in the city but not known where it happened. There are also un-confirmed reports that unidentified armed people/mob has entered the office of Plan Pakistan (INGO) located somewhere near the city.

I switched on the news, and it turns out the offices of Plan were raided by a group of armed men who opened fire on the occupants and then detonated grenades.

Reports are putting the number of dead in the attack at 4 so far.

Oh, dear ...

Pakistan blocks YouTube over 'blasphemous' videos

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan - Pakistan has ordered all Internet service providers to block the YouTube website for containing "blasphemous" content and material considered offensive to Islam, officials said Sunday.

An inter-ministerial committee has decided to block YouTube because it contained "blasphemous content, videos and documents," a government official told Agence France-Presse. "The site will remain blocked till further orders."

The Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) told the country's 70 Internet service providers Friday that the popular website would be blocked until further notice, the Associated Press reports.

The authority did not specify what the offensive material was, but a PTA official said the ban concerned a movie trailer for an upcoming film by Dutch lawmaker Geert Wilders, who has said he plans to release an anti-Koran movie portraying the religion as fascist and prone to inciting violence against women and homosexuals.

Link

I don't think it is time to panic.. just yet. But up until now, the attacks have been against specific targets like the military and the police, and have usually involved suicide attacks.

As you'll see from the account below, this is something entirely different.. and appears to be pretty damn sadistic!

No more holidays left to take, but I have a work related jaunt coming up in the next 6 weeks. I'll have to hold out until then I guess.

Why do I get the feeling that the week since the election was the calm before a coming storm?

Dear All,

It is to inform/reconfirm with deep sadness that Plan Pakistan (INGO) office in Mansehra was attacked by unknown miscreants/terrorists today at around 3:45 pm. A group of people (10-15) armed with automatic weapons entered Plan Pakistan office and took all staff hostage on gun point. Then they gathered all staff in one hall/room and harassed them. After some time they started indiscriminate firing on the staff in the room. Before leaving they also threw a hand grenade in the room full with staff. The terrorists then set the office building and vehicles parked in the compound on fire.

According to the reports 4 staff members of Plan including a female staff member are dead. 9 staff members are injured. Allah may have mercy on the soul of our colleagues who died and give patience to their families.

According to electronic media (Geo news) latest update (8pm PST), the District Police Officer (DPO) had confirmed that the group of terrorist (10-15) were chased by the Police and have been cordoned off in a forest. The terrorists have taken refuge in a Nullah and there is exchange of firing taking place. No reports of any causality/injury yet.

My colleague who worked in Iran during the turmoil there said that at first only foreigners who deliberately insulted Islam were bothered. But eventually it got so all foreigners were in danger. That's when the western companies closed down and pulled out.

I don't see it getting that bad in Pakistan - hopefully.

Archived