classic story of Thai police tolerance

racha

Newlyweds in hostage drama taken from the phuket gazette online.

PATONG: Police from Kathu Police Station were called to the Saranya Guesthouse on Rat-U-Thit Rd on Tuesday to find a honeymooning Briton standing in his wrecked hotel room, holding a broken beer bottle to his bride?s throat.

Pol Capt Ampolwat Sangruang told the Gazette that his officers rushed the man, Mark Francis O?Reilly, 36, and managed to free his 18-year-old bride, Sudjai Mingsaeng, though she sustained cuts to her throat that required eight stitches.

When police reached the hotel car park with O?Reilly, he leapt up on the top of the police pick-up truck and jumped up and down until the roof it started to cave in.

He was again subdued, placed in the back of the pick-up and handcuffed to it. He then repeatedly hit his head against the side of the vehicle. The resultant cuts to his head required 40 stitches.

Later, at the police station, after having a beer with police officers, O?Reilly quietly walked up to the roof of the two-story building and jumped off. He was taken to Patong hospital with a broken ankle.

Police have ruled out drugs as a possible explanation of the incident, after K. Sudjai emphatically denied that her new husband had taken any. Capt Ampolwat said that police believe that Mr O?Reilly may have lost control in a fit of depression.

?He will have to pay for the broken furniture in the room and the damage to the pick-up truck,? said Capt Ampolwat, ?but he will not face any charges, as his wife has not filed a complaint against him.?

A classic story of Thai tolerance wonder what he did on his stag night btw

Racha

[ October 05, 2001: Message edited by: racha ]

I'd like to make a post here, but I just don't really know what to say! I'd prefer to think that this guy was on drugs and that the reason why he was not charged is because he paid off the shameless money-grubbing cops. I can't quite figure out what else to make of this bizarre story. crazy.gif" border="0

Thanks for another twist on the TIT saga. smile.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by vtombrown:

I can't quite figure out what else to make of this bizarre story.
crazy.gif" border="0

smile.gif" border="0

There are more than a few loonies coming to LOS (besides us!). I like the way the police did not particularly go to extremes to handle the guy any further than his next suicide attempt... after he paid for the damaged goods, of course. Not that the money matters, they just want him to leave this earth on a good deed. LOL

This has to be the funniest f###ng thing I've ever read. I'm just now getting back into my chair to write this. Been on the floor for the last half hour laughing my ass off. I swear to God, only in Thailand! After all that shit, police sit down with this guy and decide to crack open some beers with him! I gotta move to BKK. If for nothing else, but for the entertainment value/factor.

Could have gone down like this -

vehicle roof damaged by whacking the guy's head on it a few times; beaten within an inch of his life in the back of the pickup, thus requiring many stiches and, finally, when he still caused trouble or refused to get some serious dosh, thrown off the top of the police station. Thais, generally, go crazy when one of their own are attacked!

Originally posted by pattaya127:

"Police are so used to tales of farangs vs Bgirls, they probably always intervene with a yawn, and domestic violence is still not a very pursued crime in LOS:"

I think Thai police often use kid gloves when dealing with Westerners, unless they're threatened themselves - a case of good old hospitality, perhaps. On top, most Thais will rather pity than despise a bloody nutcase like that Brit.

Archived