Mixed reaction to idea of British pledge

Steve

Mixed re Mixed reaction to idea of British pledge

The idea sounds simple: Build British pride with a new pledge of allegiance, a new national holiday and citizenship ceremonies for children and immigrants.

But the proposal Tuesday from a government panel calling for the introduction of American-style patriotic rituals raises thorny questions in the sometimes fractious United Kingdom.

Are people in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland who seek more independence eager to pledge allegiance to a united country? Will republicans who want to end Britain's monarchy offer undying devotion to queen and country?

And does Britain really need to embrace the American way? This is a country where Americans' flag-waving tendencies are usually lightly ridiculed, not emulated.

A government-commissioned committee said an oath of allegiance and citizenship ceremony like those already instituted for new citizens should also be required for young Britons as a way to boost pride in country and mark the transition to adulthood...

Guest lazyphil

cant see it working myself. the following days after the end of WW2 flag waving outside buck palace are long gone days now. we're in the golden age of the uk :crazy::shakehead

saw a couple of double page articles in the press and couldn't be bothered to read them......it's all bullshit.

our Government will NEVER allow English people to celebrate their culture.

but the Scots/Irish and Welsh are given carte blanche to celebrate as much as they like.

a guy around the corner from me has a flagpole flying the Cross of St.George and not liked by the authorities.

asked many times to remove the flag/refused and taken to Court and fined.

i can see the local Council coming round one Day with a chainsaw to sort out the situation.

that will cause a lot of problems amongst the locals.

i live in an area which is probably 99% White and English and guess how many of complained about their neighbours flagpole............ZERO.

Archived