Old Marine vs. Young Idiot Robber

Guy Himmaparn

Funny story from one of our local rags:

Elderly ex-Marine gives teen thief a lesson

http://www.marinij.com/ci_8718727?source=rss_viewed

SANTA ROSA - A teenager learned it is not a good idea to try to rob a former U.S. Marine at knifepoint, no matter how old he is.

Santa Rosa police Sgt. Steve Bair said an 84-year-old man was walking on Fourth Street with a grocery bag in each arm when the boy approached him with a large knife at about 2 p.m. Wednesday.

"Old man, give me your wallet or I'll cut you," the boy said.

The man said he was a former Marine who fought in three wars and had been threatened with knives and bayonets before.

The 84-year-old put his bags on the ground and told the boy that if he stepped closer he would be sorry. When the boy stepped closer, the man kicked him in the groin, knocking the youth to the sidewalk.

The ex-Marine picked up his grocery bags and walked home, leaving the teen doubled over.

There was a very satisfying case in my home city a few years back where an elderly man shot dead an armed intruder. He was a former state skeet shooting champion.

But the REALLY satisfying part was when the court ruled that the old gentleman had no case to answer and the deceased's family wept in court and shouted abuse at the judge.

I knew plenty of senior NCOs in Vietnam who had served in WWII and Korea. Most had got out for a while and then gone back in. One sergeant first class was a Maine lobster fisherman and talked like one. He told me he'd had enough sense to stay in the reserve when he got out after both WWII and Korean. Thus when he finally got 20 years active service and could retire, he'd get a pension based on about 28 years.

Of course, VN was 30 plus years ago. The WWII vets are thinning out rapidly. :(

On a similar vein there was a story a few weeks ago in the local papers about an ex serviceman who got "held up" by some young junkie.

Basically after coming out of a fish and chip shop he got threatened by the junkie and decked him with one hand without spilling any of his dinner that he held in his other hand.

A tale to gladden the heart right enough.

Archived