Then...and now

rookie

Great post pe, some of those guys were deadly with an eraser weren't they?

But some were seriously good teachers as well, many were returned servicemen and spared the rod.

One of my worst and most violent teachers was crippled in WW2 though and took it out on the kids.

Boy, what about these small cocks on the board that missed the 60's eh? :neener:

Guest lazyphil

i will be in 1950's in august when i'm holidaying in north norfolk for 10 days. i kid you not its a time warp and when i get the loot i'm moving there!

Yes, there were good teachers too, the junior school I posted about only had 5 teachers and a headmaster, two of these teachers were vindictive, vicious arseholes, the others were nice enough themselves, but stood back and let it happen. I think the headmasters Victorian attitude to children didn't help, he didn't actually spare the rod himself, but at least he wasn't in the habit of hitting children for nothing.

The grammar school I attended in the early 60's was totally different, I enjoyed my time there, most of the teachers were very good and appeared commited to their jobs. The headmaster was an ex army officer, and a strict diciplinarian too, he was not shy about using the cane either, but, he was fair, if you got into trouble, a beating was not his automatic choice of punishment, those who got one, had almost certainly deserved it.

i was at school in the 60's/70's and while punishment was not as bad as you describe i and others got their share of the cane.

i think it's a pity that these Days in the UK kids cannot be punished for their indescretions.

they get away with bulying and even murder because the Parents and Schools are not allowed to instill a little discipline.

I remember 1957. Life was a lot simpler back then. The commies were the bad guys, and your teachers periodically staged "drop drills". The idea was that if the Russkies launched their missiles at us, your school desk would protect you from the nukes. Really gave you a feeling of security. :p

Nobody had heard of Vietnam, Germany was divided between Good Germans and Bad Germans, the French were about to pull out of NATO (if they already hadn't -either way, they were bad), Churchill was America's hero even more than Eisenhower was, nobody gave a damn about the ragheads - didn't even know what they were - and Australia only allowed in white immigrants.

Teachers were mostly WWII vets and everybody's big brother seemed to be a Korean War vet. My grandfather's friends were all WWI vets!

Girls wore pedal pushers, guys wore DA's, trousers had a belt in the back, collars buttoned down, television was even stupider and people actually respected politicians. Sputnik was the hottest news, and the US Navy's Vanguard satellite rockets were a national embarassment. Everybody went into the military, and if you didn't you were a shirker or a spasdic.

Wow, was it ever another world! :(

Archived