Then...and now

rookie

We old-timers can remember... :soapbox:

SCHOOL -- 1957 vs. 2007

[color:red]Scenario: Jack goes quail hunting before school, pulls into school parking lot with shotgun in gun rack.[/color]

1957 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.

2007 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

[color:red]Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.[/color]

1957 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.

2007 - Police called, SWAT team arrives, arrests Johnny and Mark. Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario: Jeffrey won't be still in class, disrupts other students.[/color]

1957 - Jeffrey sent to office and given a good paddling by the Principal. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2007 - Jeffrey given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD. School gets extra money from state because Jeffrey has a disability.

[color:red]Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.[/color]

1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

2007 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang. State psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has affair with psychologist.

[color:red]Scenario: Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.[/color]

1957 - Mark shares aspirin with Principal, who also has a headache, out on the smoking dock.

2007 - Police called, Mark expelled from school for drug violations. Car searched for drugs and weapons.

[color:red]Scenario: Pedro fails high school English.[/color]

1957 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, goes to college.

2007 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English banned from core curriculum. Pedro given diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

[color:red]Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from 4th of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, blows up a red ant bed.[/color]

1957 - some ants die.

2007 - BATF, Homeland Security, FBI called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, FBI investigates parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated, Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

[color:red]Scenario: Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.[/color]

1957 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2007 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

I did live in 1957, they certainly were good days because I was only 9 years old.

There was no unemployment because everything was made in the country so the factories, sawmills, farms etc etc were working overtime.

Because there was no unemployment there was very little crime because people were too busy working and making money to get into trouble or do drugs.

I also lived in 2007 and while I'm 50 years older I'm not a dickhead so could you give me the links for a lot of the 2007 scenarios please because my bullshit alarm went off and woke me up.

5 5 5 5 5 well said Julien, I also bet you heard "oldies" going, "Back in my day . . . "

I grew up and started working in the mid 70's to 80's.

Very hard to get a job in Australia then, I never thought I'd ever see Factories with signs saying "Workers needed, apply within" Didn't believe I'd ever get that lucky.

Life is what you make of it, deal with it, move on,

Someone told me when I was young and saying how unlucky I was, "You idiot, don't you know you've won the jackpot?"

W T F I thought . .

"You was born with two good arms, good legs, ok brain, in Australia, you could have been born in Bangladesh a cripple, your so far ahead of the rest of the world JUST by being born in Australia healthy, get on with your life and stop saying your unlucky, coz your amongst the 15 Million luckiest people in the 4 billion world (this late 70's)

Good advice I've taken ever since, I'm so lucky I was born in Australia, or any other first world country.

Bahhh - everyone came North, may as well be on the dole in the sunshine than in the rain :)

Ahhhh - well personally I think the world is better off now than '57, for one thing, we have LIQUID LATEX BODY PAINT :evil: :evil: :thumbup: :thumbup: :surprised::surprised::shocked::shocked: :content: :content: :D:D:cool:;):o:yay::chili::yay::chili::chili::chili::yay::yay::chili::yay::worship::worship::worship::worship::medusa::medusa::medusa::medusa:

Bahhh - everyone came North, may as well be on the dole in the sunshine than in the rain :)

Ahhhh - well personally I think the world is better off now than '57, for one thing, we have

LIQUID LATEX BODY PAINT

:evil: :evil: :thumbup: :thumbup: :surprised::surprised::shocked::shocked: :content: :content: :D:D:cool:;):o:yay::chili::yay::chili::chili::chili::yay::yay::chili::yay::worship::worship::worship::worship::medusa::medusa::medusa::medusa:

I'd rather have lived in 1957...

A case of rose tinted glasses, if ever there was one! I was aged 8 in 1957 and attended a quiet 'small town' UK school, where we were routinely mistreated from the age of 7 until the age of 11 when I passed the 11+ exam and went on to grammar/technical school, where the abuse stopped. During this time I personally witnessed (or experienced) teachers beating children until they were left bleeding for no better reason than they scored poorly in a spelling or mental maths test. Handing in untidy or scruffy work would frequently result in a beating. I've seen a friends head split open with a blackboard eraser which was thrown at him by a teacher because he was not paying attention. Getting hit on the back of the head, so hard it often caused a nose bleed, was an all too common occurrence. Incidents like this happened on a weekly, if not daily basis, I would rather have gone to school in more enlightened times. Character building it may have been, fun, it certainly wasn't. The best thing about being at school in the 50's was you were a teenager in the 60's, and that was great, I wouldn't have missed the 60's for the world.

Archived