Pool places

Pablo666

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wrote the Nanapong report, but that was last June or so, and much of the info is out of date.

Gummi did a great job above, summarizing things from the pure pool perspective.

My favotite hang-out is New Wave - because it brings in the best of the Soi 7 Beergarden babes (doing at least a bief look-see), and I know almost all of the regulars. But the condition of tables, cues, etc. is pretty bad.

Brunswick is definitely the upscale place. Good quality everything. You can buy cues here - good selection, right off shelf (or you can order).

Swan is the most under-rated spot. It has 12 pool tables, plus two full-up snooker tables. Eveything is is excellent shape. This is the place for a group to go, to get their own table(s) to play on. But not a great spot for meeting new ladies. Swan assigns a wait-person (mostly ladies, except for snooker) to service each table in play, so service is excellent.

Bamboo Bar is a good spot for meeting ladies, but as noted above, its clientele is less friendly. Live band playing 70's rock Wednesday, Friday, Saturday nights. Used to have six tablesin main building, plus two more tables in separate building out back. One table has vanished from front building (maybe they moved it to rear building?).

The Living Room is no place to play pool. Period. I spend a lot of time socializing there, and even playing on the dinky tables, but it is not in "pool bar" class. Some late afternoons/evenings, I'm the guy playing "DJ" here - particular Thursday evenings.

One place not mentioned is Studio 22, below the Mambo Cabaret at Washington Square. It has about six tables, and plays "ball in hand" rule for fouls. Service here is outstanding - they assign someone permamently to service your table. Everything is in good shape. Great place to "get away" from it all - LOTS of space here. But not a place to meet ladies.

Woodstck - too cramped.

One "wild card" - Soi Zero. If you want to sharpen your game, try playing nights at Rooster Bar. Nine foot table with snooker style pockets and balls. Some of the best players I have ever met have been at this bar. Most of the longer-tenured girls here can kick ass on even very good players.

Last comment - on 8-ball rules.

Eveywhere: You only have to call your shot when sinking the 8-ball. For all other shots, lucky fluke sinking of your ball is all you need. No one here is concerned about illegal breaks (fewer than four balls reaching cushions). Similarly, no venue enforces foul if no ball reaches a cushion.

New Wave and Flyers - If foul, opponent gets two shots; if scratch foul, the first shot must be across the headstring. Foul (or scratch) when shooting 8 ball only loses game outright if the opponent has no balls left on table. If you sink opponent's ball, it is a foul, regardless of what you struck first.

Brunswick - Any foul results in one shot- ball in hand. As long as you first hit your color, it is not a foul to sink opponents ball (but it is loss of turn). Any foul when shooting 8 ball results in immediate loss of game. Jump shots are not allowed here.

Bamboo Bar - After scratch foul at this venue, opponent gets two shots from half-circle inked onto felt at headstring. You may shoot in any direction from half-circle (you do not need to shoot across headstring).

I despise the "two shots across the headstring rule", particularly given that bank shots are almost random, given the condition of the cushions at most places.

"Let the good times roll!"

Bangkok Butterfly

I was told that the Thai rules are actually derived from British pub rules, but I can't imagine professionals anywhere playing by them. The Thai rules seem well suited to people who can't play very well or who are extremely drunk.

Everyplace I play in Bangkok the rules seem to be different and I'm not there long enough to get serious and understand the quirks of each place. I try to play by the BCA rules until the other person forces me to play differently. Against the bar girls I just play a unique mix of rules designed to keep the games close.

It's too bad that it sounds like New Wave is not a good place for pool. I was planning on checking it out next time I come. I've been in there once and the tables didn't look that good. However, good music and fun people to play with can make the difference. A few of my most fun nights playing pool in Bangkok were at the Dubliner where they have a hideously bad excuse for a pool table and cues that I think doubled as mop handles at the end of the night. But the beer and the company was good. They did have a nine-ball tournament once a week there if I recall correctly.

A few update comments to the summary that Gummi republished from last summer:

1. Everything about Swan is out of date. No more late closing, completely rennovated place.

2. Bamboo Bar is owned by Maltese John Pace and his RUSSIAN wife Irena (my mistake originally).

3. Comments about Hillary Bar and Rajah Hotel area are out of date. Muay Thai ring is gone from Hillary, Club Camoflage is gone (now Charlis Sports Bar - situation unknown).

I restate that New Wave on Soi 7 is still my favorite place. But for a serious pool fanatic, the heavily worn equipment and "random return" cushions get frustrating. Also, many nights, it takes 60-80 minutes to get a game, since there are so many people signed up to play. But it is by a margin the best place for "eye candy", as well as for serious freelancer hunting (Bamboo Bar comes in a fairly strong second). And there are some very fine players here. (Oh, and they walled over one of the five entrances to this place - there are now only four!).

Cheers!

BB

Archived