Yok Yor Marina dinner cruise gone downhill

samak

this was a reasonable alternative with good Thai food (95% of the guests are Thai) to the many overpriced boats for foreign tourists with pretty lousy food.

i went there last weekend with guests from overseas. i was ashamed about the food quality. mussels were old and smelled. grilled fish arrived fast and looked like prepared earlier and warmed up in microwave. other food, even rice was prepared poorly with the exception of a Tom Kha Gai, which was good.

boat ticket also increased from under 100 to 140 THB per person; it is still cheap in comparison with other cruises.

it is a pitty that this very reasonable alternative is gone as well.

is there still a good dinner cruise around with good food at reasonable prices?

I hate the overpriced foreigner boats with bland fusion food and ridiculous drink prices and that's why I use Yok Yor. If you can handle going steerage, Yok Yor is only 70 baht a head on the lower deck. Yok Yor is the best value for the money I have run across, though am interested to know about other options out there too. Yok Yor food is fine in my experiences, especially in context with the price, and I like the freedom of a menu rather than a set meal you find on more expensive boats. A 3 liter keg of draft beer on the table is another nice touch you can find with yok yor. Just show up at the pier at the Saphan Thaksin sky train station 7-8PM and they will quickly shuttle you over by boat to their big boat for free, yet another nice thing about them. Just my take, but again I am interested to hear about other options.

well, when have you been on the boat last time?

as i said, the food was good in the past but seems to have gone dramatically downhill. i would not mind 1-2 bad dishes. in this case you could say it was probably a accident and you can try again later. but we had 8 dishes and only one was good and some were really not accpetable.

there was no draft beer available (in opposite to the past) and half the way we had to change from Chang to Singha as they run out on Changs.

the lower deck at 70 THB is no alternative for me if you can sit on the upper at 140 THB

3-4 years or more ago, there were hardly any other foreigners on board. but nowadays there are more and more. maybe this fact and the incredible cover charges some tourist boats ask for has waken up the greed of the Yok Yor Marina owner?

I have taken Yok Yor a number of times in the last 5 or 10 years and the latest was about a month ago. I am not trying to refute your post at all, just sharing my experiences for reference. I'll take your word for it the food was crap prety much across the board and it would be bad if they have such low standards generally speaking nowadays. I find the food there fine; not spectacular, not bad and what I really like about it is they are prepared Thai style versus farang. Service has been consistently excellent in my experience. This latest time I went steerage because upstairs was full. There was a mixture of Thai and yipoon down there as far as I could see, maybe 1/3rd occupied. Ordered a 3L heine draft and it was in one of those modern kegs with dry ice inside to keep it cold. I didn't mind the lower deck and found it made the trip more interesting because the focus was on one side on the way out and the other side on the way in rather than seeing it all on one direction. The only caveat was splashes from people in the galley above throwing remnants overboard!

I went there several times. But is has been about 3 years since I was there last.Was allways upstairs. I liked the service and food.

The last 2 years now my brother in law has lined us up on the a different boat. Mainly Thai. and upper and middle class Thai.

Can't remember the name. I know we go through a hotel lobby to board the boat. They have a band and bar on the lower level.

We sit on top level and I'm not sure if you can just walk on or not. My brother in law allways makes resv. for us.

Food has been good and service is great.

Can't remember the name. I know we go through a hotel lobby to board the boat. They have a band and bar on the lower level.

this one?

RIVERSIDE CO., LTD.

Tel: 434-0090-3 From Riverside Plaza Hotel near Krung Thon Bridge to Rama IX Bridge 8.00-10.30 p.m.

(Sun-Thu)

8.30-11.00 p.m.

(Fri-Sat) 70 Baht per person for the boat cruise; dinner costs as ordered.

Archived