Paying with cash? That'll cost you extra

Big business and the government have been trying to do way with cash anyway.

Hotels, car rentals, etc. have done away with cash for the most part. You can't book a night at a major hotel without a credit card. Even if you plan to pay in cash and even if you are willing to provide a cash deposit for the price of the room and surcharges. Its crazy that you can have 1k on your person in cash and only $1 available on your credit card and you can rent a car or hotel with the credit card and cash is no good.

Banks make so much money off ATM charges and they overcharge for the amount of money it takes to service machines. Its a tax on your own money. Computer programs adjust and bill other banks when you get money from a rival ATM. The cost is minimal, certainly nowhere near the 2 or 3 dollars they charge. Gas stations now are chargin .45 if you use a debit card to pay for gas.

Visa and Mastercard, with the help of the government has made it impossible to reserve anything unless you have their logo on your card. Banks have been trying to force legislation that would effectively end credit unions as the last bastion of competition. Incidentally, various credit unions have banded together and do not charge an ATM fee as long as its from another credit union. Goes to show how much of a robbery that fee is. If all you want is $20, you're paying at least a 10% surcharge to get YOUR OWN MONEY! We've all been legislated (forced) to use banks and visa. My religious mom warned of the 'last days' when cash was no good. I used to roll my eyes and think 'oh not that again', but seems she may turn out to be right.

The banks tried that a few years back in the UK and there was a massive outcry....for once the british people spoke and it has since been removed from most acounts

Archived