Thai - Thai relations?

drogon

Am I wrong thinking that:

When a Thai man (decent, presentable and of a higher social status and of cours bigger wealth) offers marriage to a Thai woman (and her family).

If he brings financial security (not dowry) to a woman of lower social status.

What is expected from the woman?

(I do not take the case of 2 middle class people living and working in Bangkok)

Is this stereotype still often true: Husband takes care financially of the women then the woman it is implicitly expected that the woman will take care of the husband, be faithful and not divorce?

I was wondering if this is the case because I am a bit perplexed by the rising divorce rate in Thailand.

My personal feeling is that the rise in the Thai-Thai divorce rate, if that is indeed the case, and I have never seen any data but will accept what you say as fact, is because that very sector you excluded in brackets is increasing at probably an equal effective rate and that any rise in numbers is coming from that very segment. To examine the matter more closely perhaps it is not really rising at all but maybe there are more registered marriages than was previously the case and as a consequence the divorces are registered. How many Thai women do you know who will admit to having been married but not divorced simply because what they call marriage requires little to effect a cancellation. It could be that the true rate of union failures is down but only that the registered numbers are increasing.

I do think your premise of what is expected between men and women to be generally true and across all sectors of Thai society women view divorce proceedings as something they do not want to be the instigators of, at least unless they feel it inescapable.

Just my 2 satang worth.

Archived