Wooden boat in Thailand

trooper

I've been dreaming of buying a wooden boat in Thailand and just thought maybe somebody here does know something about the subject.

In the future I might have an opportunity to spend about 5 months every year in Thailand and was thinking that as I like fishing and diving I would really like to have an own boat. For a littlebit over 1 million baht it would be possible to purchase a nice 20 meter long boat that would be suitable for commercial use also. I'm not planning to make much money on it but maybe organize some fishing tours and such.

Can anybody estimate the maintaining costs per year for that kind of boat? How much would I have to pay to keep it in forexample Bali Hai pier in Pattaya? I'm interested to hear anything that comes to mind about the subject.

From what I have heard you will also need to hire a boat Captain, Thai, to move the boat each time you want to use it to go out. Plus, doing 'fishing expeditions', tours and such without the proper licenses and visa can likely cause you trouble. I don't think the local boat operators would take too kindly to you sometimes stepping on their 'turf' so to speak and would likely dime you to the authorities in a heartbeat.

Cent

Yes local captain is a must for fishing. I know I'll be able to get one for about 12k baht/month but a good one will cost much more. Is local captain also needed when using the boat for non commercial purpose?

If I decide to do fishing trips for tourists with it I will definitely set up a company for that and try to do it legally. I'm just not sure what licences are required, I've only talked to one lawyer about it and she said it's possible without going to details.

Also a thing that concerns me is the time I'm not in Thailand. How could I be sure that the boat is safe? Renting it out could be a solution but I guess it's not easy during the low season.

Archived