BIZZARE WEATHER!!!!

keith doug

Guest lazyphil

heat and thunderstorms in bkk. how weird!

now what was weird, early may not long ago here in southern england it was in the 80's for about 5 days, it was hotter than athens and rome apparently.

Same here lP, and I have the tan to prove it :)

Few years back in Prachuap early May, I went on a snorkelling trip to Koh Thalu.

The sea was calm, not a ripple on the surface. We had an enjoyable time exploring the corals and headed back to the mainland.

Out of the blue a tremendous wind arose along with torrential(sp?) rain showers and the wawes built up in no time, when we tried to land our longtail capsized and I lost my Nikon!!

I just praised myself lucky that we were that close to shore and that I hadn`t brought my kids along for the trip.

cheers

hn

heat and thunderstorms in bkk. how weird!

now what was weird, early may not long ago here in southern england it was in the 80's for about 5 days, it was hotter than athens and rome apparently.

and don't forget that Sunday Morning in April when we had the freak snowstorm.

i haven't seen so much snow fall in such a short-time for Years.

where i am we had 5-6 inches in 30 Minutes.

I like lightning storms. However, a few years ago I was in a golf tournament in Pattaya and an alarm went off. The caddies said "Get into the cart." and we raced across fairways and made the most direct route to the kiosk. About 40 of us were in the kiosk, waiting out the storm, so then lightning hit the kiosk. The lightning rods did their job and nobody got zapped.

I was in New Jersey on business once and there was a spectacular lightning storm. I made myself a drink and sat outside and watched it. I wish I had a movie of it.

zen

A tropical downpour can be a real buzz here in Oz (as opposed to anything with cyclonic winds/hail etc), but I found the April 'showers' each afternoon in BKK in April to be a real pain in the butt. The rain itself is fine, but no part of that city seems to have been designed to handle torrential downpours (Jakarta is even worse : non-existent drainage in a city which is largely flat - go figure). A real laugh seeing women out on the Soi wearing plastic bags on their heads in an attempt to keep dry - looks like a condom gone very wrong - but the rest of it .... :smirk:

Still, I guess I'm gonna have to learn to live with it - will take 'too much' rain over none at all, ala large parts of southern Oz.

(Yes, I do know why they call it the 'wet season/rainy season' for a reason - moving from the tail end of one in FNQ (and a cracker at that) to the start of another in Thailand.)

Archived