What is your retirement plan ?

I just posted this on another thread but more appropriate here.

A very simplistic scenario, but quite interesting.

If you retired with GBP 1 million in the bank, which is about Baht 60 million, invested it at 5% and lived on about Baht 238,000 per month, you'd still have your original 60 million in the bank, 25 years later!! :surprised:

Actually 5 % of 60 million is 250,000 per month, but after 25 years that spending value of 250K would only be 105K Bt.

Your other mistake made is that you assume that 5 % is a net revenue, without inflation.

With inflation that is only 1.5 % ! or only 75K Bt per month to spend.

Time to loose some weight.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did a bit of money playing with the stock market but deemed it too unstable to invest seriously into it.

At your age you can invest agressively in order to make more capital, at my age one must invest safely in order to keep the capital and make it grow just a bit.

Try investment funds investing in emerging countries, Russia, Brasil, Indonesia, India and China.

Contact your bank.

Yes was "live".

Because with not even a half liver still functional

(2 hepatitis caught in Africa plus malaria which luckily does not affect the liver)

thus doctors told me a long time ago that I should avoid any excess....So 60-70 years old in unlikely and it does not bother me at all...

At least I have the luck (contrary to many people less fortunate) to be able to live fully my life.

Therefore, retirement was never my main concern.

(and if I ever get married then my wife will be far more than secure)

Investing aggressively, thanks for the suggestion but I prefer to invest "securely" (although security never really exists).

Lost about 1.5 million baht by investing aggressively some years ago...since then, I do not trust any of my bank. (was fortis by the way)

30.000 baht a month in todays money would cover my needs quite adequately.

I did several trips to SE Asia staying 6 months at a time and spending less than 20K baht a month paying for everything along the way. Best trips I ever had.

That was a few years back admittedly.

Staying in a rented place will be much more affordable than travelling all over though.

My needs are few, especially in a tropical climate. In cold Scandinavia you need lotsa stuff just to keep yourself entertained during the winter time.

I have a cottage in Scandia already paid for and I plan to stay there during the summer time, wouldnt miss the scandinavian summer time for anyting.

Winter time I shall spend in SE Asia somewhere, time will show where.

At the time of my retirement I shall still have access to cheap flight tickets due to my employment. And my pension will cover my other needs more than adequately.

Having said that, I am presently 47 years old and I have no intention whatsoever to retire in the next 20 years or so. This may sound pityfull to you, but I kinda like my job and me mates at work and would definitely find it hard to entertain myself fulltime at this stage in my life.

Besides, only working 10 days a month gives me plenty of time to pursue my interests.

Cheers

hn

"These days, for someone who has invested in property, a million pounds is quite an achievable amount of money. "

It actually seems there are over one million millionaires in US$ over the world (it is in Forbes somewhere). The kind of stats I care more about than the mean income in a country, and makes me think 1 million is fuck all, especially at today's USD rates. Not looking into retiring yet, but don't doubt much I will be able to do it comfortably if needed.

Hellhole in Isaan. Why does it sound right?

"I have no intention whatsoever to retire in the next 20 years or so. This may sound pityfull to you, but I kinda like my job "

Nice to read this! the last couple of threads on the topic are mostly about people looking for the shortest way out of their professionnal occupation. Lots of people work past the retirement age in my field, regulary overseeing their kids who have taken over the family business. Must say it does look like a nice prospect.

Archived