Quality shirts

I'm going to be visiting Bangkok fairly regularly with my work, and I'd like to take the opportunity to purchase some good quality 'business shirts' and ties, without having to take out a loan!

Any advice about locations/shops?

Never had much luck with clothes here. I don't buy the cheap crap but have in the past brought expensive crap. While I live here in Bangkok I buy all my clothes in Australia when I go back twice a year. Stickman had a gripe about socks here lasting a few weeks then buggered, I agree, so I buy good Lycra socks in OZ that last for a couple of years and they are nice & cool on my size 12's.

With some exceptions I find most clothes have the same problem, just don't last well.

Spaceman,

The best place for quality shirts off the peg is Central Chidlom department store because it caters for the foreign size.

Most Thai department stores sell shirts with sleeves that finish just below the elbow and shirt collars that hang down by your belly button.

If you look at many Thai male office workers, you'll notice that the shirt collar makes it look like they recently lost about 4 stone

I, like Bangkok Phil, like the selection of menswear at Central Chidlom. BUT, the best staff is 3-4 tiems the price of the locally made stuff. Note that a lot of the "brand names" such as Pierre Cardin, Guy Laroche and co are made under licence here in Thailand. The cheap labour and cheaper transportation costs (from factory to retail outlet) keep the prices low, but the quality is often low too. I compare the business shirts I bought back in NZ to what you get here and while in NZ they are 2-3 times the price, they are also 2-3 times better - better fit, nicer fabric, they survive the washing machine better and they most definitely last longer.

Stick

Maybe in Noo Ziland they are 2-3 times the price but being the ultimate tightarse,

I only buy at sales and in OZ they have good reductions where the shops reduce every thing across the board.

(Notice here when they have a BIG sale maybe 20% of the stock is reduced ?) makes the price comparable or cheaper than Here and the quality is way better. Most people first time here rush in and buy! buy! because they think it "should" be cheap and for sure you can buy some cheap stuff but it falls to bits before your eyes. Tailor shops for me have been a big disappointment in the past so don't bother anymore.

where can you get some good quality clothes for a steal..it seems most american goods are made overseas.. but I here you.. on the size.. of most things..in los.. would it be worth it to make a side trip, to hong kong.. the hotels there are so dam expensive!!looking for a deal man... crazy.gif" border="0 bloomingdales stuff at k-mart prices....

shocked.gif" border="0

[ September 22, 2001: Message edited by: togaduke ]

Phil, Re tailor shops. A between 5 & 10 years ago (when I was gainfully? employed as a corporate stuffed shirt) I would get shirts, trousers and the occasional suit tailor made. Started with a shop "Mikes" in Soi 22, then tried various tailors around that area,eg "Beethoven" Cnr Soi 26 and even a couple nearer Nana. Paid good money for supposedly imported (British! of course old Chap) Materials but somehow they didn't seem comfortable. The clothes seem to lose their shape and fit within a month or two. The shirts just lost that tailor made feel. All in all I can't remember one item that actually made me feel I had received good value for money. I suspect the materials were actually copies made in a place other than Blighty, sort of later confirmed when I I found my landlord was making millions importing materials from India. As for shoes here, total waste of time, the ferkin things won't lats thru one good Bangkok downpour let alone a a rainy season.

About 10 Years ago I brought a pair of hand made boots in a village just out of Peterboro' (UK).

I still wear them virtually every day, as they do duty as motorbike boots, so they have covered a few thousand kilos around Thailand and STILL (after a loving brush up with my tin of Kiwi) they look as good as new. Now, Thats value for money !!!

Archived