Flashing keypad on Mobile Phone??

Originally posted by UPSer:

The question is I have a Nokia 5100 series (US model). Can this type of alternation be done in BKK or is it restricted to BKK-sold phones only???"

They can tune it, but it'll cost you a cool 5,000 Baht! According to the guys in the phone shops in MBK, the tuning of a Nokia is so expensive because they have to dismantle the whole thing (going through "three layers", as one chap told me) to get at the right part. For that money, you'd be better off buying a new phone.

All-

I have this strange burning desire to take my US mobile phone to BKK with me on my trip next week and have one of those keypads that light-up and flash (like a christmas treee) installed... Don't know why I want to do this. It will look really redicilous when I pull out this phone after one of my Managers Meetings... But anyway, I want to do it...

The question is I have a Nokia 5100 series (US model). Can this type of alternation be done in BKK or is it restricted to BKK-sold phones only???

The phone isn't my personal property, so, if something goes wrong (ie broken) then the phone will become "unfortunately lost"

---UPSer laugh.gif" border="0

• 2 weeks later...

Scum_Baggio--

You're right... Some bozo @ MBK said "no problem"... Yeah right... B1000 later the phone doesn't work at all... Oh well..

How unfortunate it is that my company phone was lost in the Chao Phraya River... bummer... Oh well, I'm enjoying my new Motorola anyway... LOL

Perhaps I'll have better luck with this one..

--UPSer laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

Mobiles keep getting cheaper at MBK. There's a lot of smuggled stuff around at the prices are almost as low as in Singapore. The downside is that the smuggled stuff doesn't come in proper boxes etc.; you just get the phone, a charger, and if you're lucky a user's manual.

On one of my recent surveys at MBK I saw that an Ericsson T29 costs around 7500 Baht in the smuggled variety, and about 9500 for the one in a proper box. The latter version is called "mue-tue suun", "a mobile from the (company's) centre"; the others are called "mue-tue nork" or "khong nork", "outside stuff" (meaning having been smuggled in).

Worth considering are also packages with phone and pre-paid SIM card. For example, for 8500 Baht you get a Nokia (forget which type), a SIM card, an 800 Baht charge-up card, and after two weeks another 1000 Baht will automatically be credited to your account. These deals are available with AIS and DTAC. Check at MBK.

Scum_Baggio--

Good idea I did excatly that... I went to the Telewiz shop @ MBK and bought an Ericcson T29 (B6500) and got B800 then another B1000...

Overall not a bad deal... Here's the best part...

My first incoming call from the hottie-sales girl (who sold me my phone @ Telewiz). She asked me if I liked the phone and was "happy" with it.. I replied "of course"... She then (very sheepishly) asked me if I woudl consider talking with her (in English) one or two nights a week at her house (or after work)..

Gee.. lets see... Good phone.. a bunch of "free" minutes and a long term "thing" with a 22-yr old hottie... hummmm... Sure beats the bitchy sales people at AT&T wireless in the US... LOL

--USPer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by UPSer:

The question is I have a Nokia 5100 series (US model). Can this type of alternation be done in BKK or is it restricted to BKK-sold phones only???

I think Scum_Baggio is thinking that you want to convert a US phone to be a BKK phone. What you're talking about actually is nothing more than changing the faceplate on the phone- a simple process. Those light-up faceplates are a few hundred baht and I've seen them for your phone- though it's an older model and I'm not sure that they still sell the x-mas tree light faceplate for it.

Almost all of the BKK accessories will work in the US. My sister as the same model phone as you do and I've sent over a lot of stuff. So far, only some of those light-up antennas won't work.

I know of a couple of stores that sell the face plate you're talking about. Next time you're in town, drop me a line. I can only imagine the looks you're gonna get walking around the office with it installed!!!

Ciao!

Crash999--

I can just see the email that I'll get from Corporate Communications department when they get their phone back at trade-in time... LOL

Maybe they'll say "what the hell is this? Here! You keep it!" I can hope.

--UPSer laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

Archived